1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free particle in spherical polar coords

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the time-independent Schrodinger equation in spherical polar coordinates for a free particle, in the case where we have an azimuthal quantum number [itex]l=0[/itex].

(a) Solve the radial equation to find the (unnormalized) radial wavefunction [itex]R(r)[/itex].
    (b) Normalize [itex]R(r)[/itex], using the definition of the dirac delta function [itex]\delta(k'-k)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Radial Equation:

[tex]u(r) = rR(r)[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2u}{dr^2} + \left[V + \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{l(l+1)}{r^2}\right]u = Eu[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For a free particle, [itex]V=0[/itex], and with [itex]l = 0[/itex] the radial equation reduces to,

[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dr^2}=-k^2u,~~k=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/tex],

with solution,

[tex]u = A\sin(kr) + B\cos(kr)[/tex],

but [itex]u(r)=rR(r)[/itex], so [itex]B=0[/itex] for a normalizable wavefunction (considering r->0). Therefore,

[tex]R(r) = \frac{A}{r}\sin(kr)[/tex]

and to normalize,

[tex]\int_{0}^{\inf} r^2|R(r)|^2~dr = 1[/tex]

[tex]|A|^2 \int_{0}^{\inf} \sin^2(kr)~dr=1[/tex]

How do I use the dirac delta function?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2009 #2
    Should I keep [itex]u[/itex] as,

[tex]u(r)=Ae^{ikr}[/tex]

[tex]R(r)=\frac{A}{r}e^{ikr}[/tex]

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    Hi

Sorry, but I don't see why do you need to use the delta of k'-k. I would integrate the sine square but the problem is that you forgot the integration for the angular variables. Thus there is a "4 times pi" factor missed which should be at RHS of the last equation as denominator of 1/(4*pi) since the 4*pi is the result of the integration of

[tex]\int sin\theta d\theta \int d\varphi[/tex]

This comes from the fact that to normalize you have to integrate in a volume whose differential element is

[tex]dv= r^2 sin\theta dr d\theta d\varphi[/tex]

But I don't see anything else to be added.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook