1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freefall acceleration

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    I worked two similar freefall problems with the same coordinate system, but had different signs for acceleration on each solution. I thought that if we say +y is up, then a = -9.8 m/s², so I'm confused as to why a = +9.8 m/s² for the second problem.

Problem 1: Rock thrown from 30 m cliff with initial velocity of 12 m/s. Find v when it hits ground.
    Coordinate system: +y is up and 0 is on ground. (so a = -9.8 m/s²)
    Solution: vf² = v0² + 2a(x - x0) = (12 m/s)² + 2(-9.8 m/s²)(0 m - 30 m) = 732
    vf = 27.1 m/s
    This makes sense to me because if a = +9.8 m/s², I'd have to take the square root of a negative.

Problem 2: A rock passes a 3m window in 0.4 s. At what height above the window was it dropped from.
    Coordinate system: +y is up, zero at bottom of window. (so a = -9.8 m/s²)
    Solution: Let d be the distance from the drop point to the top of the window. First find velocity at top of window. Assume rock dropped from rest, then find d.
    (x - x0) = v0t + ½at²
    (0 m - 3 m) = 0.4v0 + ½(-9.8 m/s²)(0.4 s)²
    v0 = -5.54 m/s
    vf² = v0² + 2a(x - x0)
    (-5.54 m/s)² = 0 + 2(-9.8 m/s²)[(d + 3) m - 3 m]
    d = -1.57 m
    Which doesn't make sense physically, because it would be below the bottom of the window.So I tried it with a = +9.8 m/s², I get -9.46 m/s for velocity at the top of the window and d = 4.56 m.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi willcrys84! welcome to pf! :smile:
    it doesn't make any difference whether it's 12 m/s up or 12 m/s down, does it? :wink:
    x0 is the top, so (x - x0) is negative :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook