Why Does Freefall Acceleration Sign Differ Between Similar Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two freefall problems with different signs for acceleration in the same coordinate system. The first problem involves a rock thrown from a 30 m cliff with an initial velocity of 12 m/s and the second problem involves a rock dropped from a height above a 3 m window. Despite the different signs for acceleration, the solutions for both problems are calculated using the same formula vf² = v0² + 2a(x - x0), where x0 is the top of the cliff or window. This confusion arises because the signs for acceleration are usually taken to be negative for the downward direction, but in both problems, a positive value for acceleration yields a physically incorrect solution. Therefore
willcrys84
I worked two similar freefall problems with the same coordinate system, but had different signs for acceleration on each solution. I thought that if we say +y is up, then a = -9.8 m/s², so I'm confused as to why a = +9.8 m/s² for the second problem.

Problem 1: Rock thrown from 30 m cliff with initial velocity of 12 m/s. Find v when it hits ground.
Coordinate system: +y is up and 0 is on ground. (so a = -9.8 m/s²)
Solution: vf² = v0² + 2a(x - x0) = (12 m/s)² + 2(-9.8 m/s²)(0 m - 30 m) = 732
vf = 27.1 m/s
This makes sense to me because if a = +9.8 m/s², I'd have to take the square root of a negative.

Problem 2: A rock passes a 3m window in 0.4 s. At what height above the window was it dropped from.
Coordinate system: +y is up, zero at bottom of window. (so a = -9.8 m/s²)
Solution: Let d be the distance from the drop point to the top of the window. First find velocity at top of window. Assume rock dropped from rest, then find d.
(x - x0) = v0t + ½at²
(0 m - 3 m) = 0.4v0 + ½(-9.8 m/s²)(0.4 s)²
v0 = -5.54 m/s
vf² = v0² + 2a(x - x0)
(-5.54 m/s)² = 0 + 2(-9.8 m/s²)[(d + 3) m - 3 m]
d = -1.57 m
Which doesn't make sense physically, because it would be below the bottom of the window.So I tried it with a = +9.8 m/s², I get -9.46 m/s for velocity at the top of the window and d = 4.56 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi willcrys84! welcome to pf! :smile:
willcrys84 said:
Problem 1: Rock thrown from 30 m cliff with initial velocity of 12 m/s. Find v when it hits ground.

it doesn't make any difference whether it's 12 m/s up or 12 m/s down, does it? :wink:
vf² = v0² + 2a(x - x0)

x0 is the top, so (x - x0) is negative :wink:

What is freefall acceleration?

Freefall acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object in a state of freefall, meaning it is only subject to the force of gravity. This acceleration is constant at approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth.

How is freefall acceleration calculated?

Freefall acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = g, where a is the acceleration and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This equation assumes that there are no other forces acting on the object.

Does freefall acceleration depend on mass?

No, freefall acceleration does not depend on mass. All objects, regardless of their mass, experience the same acceleration due to gravity in a state of freefall.

How does freefall acceleration vary on different planets?

Freefall acceleration varies on different planets due to differences in their mass and radius. The greater the mass and radius of a planet, the greater the acceleration due to gravity will be. For example, on Jupiter, the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 24.8 m/s^2, while on the Moon it is only 1.6 m/s^2.

What is the significance of freefall acceleration?

Freefall acceleration is significant because it allows for the prediction and understanding of the motion of objects in a state of freefall. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as physics and engineering, where it is used in calculations and experiments involving gravity and motion.