FreeFall motion Assumptions in proving

In summary: In other words, are you getting a result that is not just a product of the individual terms?In summary, the two stones will collide at a height of 4u^2-g^2T^2/(8g) metres above the point of projection.
nabet94

Homework Statement

a stone is thrown vertically upwards with a speed of u metres per second. a second stone is thrown vertically uppwards from the same point with the same initial speed but T seconds later than the first. prove that they collide at a distance (4u^2-g^2T^2)/(8g) metres above the point of projection.

Homework Equations

s=ut+.5(g)(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

now i should resolve vertically so i would get s= uT + .5(g)T^2 for the second and s= u(X-T)+ .5(g)(X-T)^2 for the first but when i attempt to get the answer i fail miserably or everything just cancels out. can someone help me with this?

Homework Statement

initial velocity is u and that time after second stone is thrown is T

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us what you have done so far? And which way is your coordinate axis pointing?

well i got u(X-T)+ .5(g)(X-T)^2= uT + .5(g)T^2 thus it is equal to uX-2uT+.5gx^2-.5gXT that's all i could get

what do you mean with coordinate axis?

nabet94 said:
what do you mean with coordinate axis?

I mean, in which direction does the y-axis point? Does it point upward? I.e. does higher positions correspond to higher values of y? Because, in that case the formula the gravitational acceleration is opposite to the y axis, and the acceleration [itex]a=-g[/itex]. You would then have
[itex]y_1 = ut - \frac{gt^2}{2}[/itex]
for the first stone, where [itex]t[/itex] is the time, and we let [itex]y=0[/itex] at the starting point of the throw. The other stone satisfies
[itex]y_2 = u (t-T) - \frac{g}{2} \left( t-T \right)^2[/itex].

OK, so then you say they collide when [itex]y_1=y_2[/itex]. That's good, but what does it tell you?

oh yeah well its going upwards so yeah. well that the y's are the same. that's all i am able to assume

nabet94 said:
oh yeah well its going upwards so yeah. well that the y's are the same. that's all i am able to assume

My point is the equaton [itex]y_1=y_2[/itex] does not tell you at which height they collide. It does, however, provide some other useful information.

such as the time it takes for them to collide? and their initial velocity perhaps?

nabet94 said:
such as the time it takes for them to collide? and their initial velocity perhaps?

One of them, certainly. The initial velocity is already known though, as it is given in the problem description.

i got that T=(2gt+1)/t

Have you mixed up the roles of T and t?
(Do you remember which time, t or T, you need?)
Have you canceled too many terms?

1. What is the concept of freefall motion in physics?

Freefall motion refers to the movement of an object under the sole influence of gravity. In other words, an object is in freefall when it is only subject to the force of gravity and no other external forces.

2. What are the key assumptions in proving freefall motion?

The key assumptions in proving freefall motion are that there is no air resistance, there is no change in gravitational force, and there is a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s² due to gravity.

3. How do these assumptions affect the accuracy of the results?

These assumptions may affect the accuracy of the results in real-world situations where there may be air resistance and the gravitational force may change due to different factors. However, in ideal conditions, these assumptions allow for simpler calculations and provide a good approximation of freefall motion.

4. Can freefall motion be applied to all objects?

Yes, freefall motion can be applied to all objects regardless of their mass. However, the acceleration due to gravity may vary slightly depending on the mass of the object and the altitude at which the freefall is taking place.

5. How is freefall motion used in real-life applications?

Freefall motion is used in many real-life applications, such as skydiving, bungee jumping, and amusement park rides. It is also used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity on objects and to calculate the trajectory of objects in freefall.