Freezing Lake - Heat Energy Questions

In summary, the temperature of the liquid water just below the ice is 0°C. The rate of heat transfer through the ice is a function of thickness and the rate of heat flow required to freeze the water is L cm/hr. It takes approximately 10 hours for a 20cm layer to build up.
CallMeShady

Homework Statement

Freezing Lake
A small pond has a layer of ice 1cm thick floating on its surface. The air temperature is -10°C. Steps (a-c) should help you find the final answers in (d) and (e).

(a) What is the temperature of the liquid water just below the ice?
(b) Write the expression for the rate of heat transfer through the ice as a function of thickness of the ice?
(c) Write the expression for the rate of heat flow required to freeze the water? Hint: first find how much heat must be removed to freeze a given thickness of ice.
(d) Find the rate in cm/hr at which ice is added to the layer.
(e) How long does it take for a 20cm layer to build up?

Homework Equations

Q = mcΔT (temperature change)
Q = mL (phase change)

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot begin the other parts of this question without having the first part answered and I am stuck right in the beginning. I need a booster to help me get started and to push along this question. At the moment, I attempted to solve part (a) and figured that there are no calculations involved; I assume that the water just below the ice would be at 0°C since that immediate area between ice and water in contact is where the phase change occurs. However, I might be wrong. Anyone here willing to guide me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a) ... the water just below the ice is still a liquid ... what is the coldest water can get without freezing?

I figured that out... I am working on part c) and d) now. The coldest the water can get is 0°C without completely freezing.

Thank you for your assistance. :)

No worries: it is common that even just writing down the question leads to the answer.

Helps to show your working for a and b though ... part of the point of these forums is so that your difficulties can help others in the same fix later: you may have the answers now but others googling to your question may be yet to find them.

Tell me when you are next stuck.

I am actually stuck on this question too. I managed to figure part A out on my own but I'm stuck on part B.

Think about what the heat loss is likely to be proportionate to.

For example the heat loss from a building is likely to be proportional to the temperature difference between the inside and outside, the type of insulation etc and inversely proportional to the thickness of the insulation. What's the simplest way you can write that out.

Welcome to PF Maskawisewin ... ideally OP will tell you how he did the parts you are stuck on but CWatters has a good hint too ;) Let us know how you get on.

What causes a freezing lake?

A freezing lake is caused by a decrease in the temperature of the water below its freezing point, which is 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius. This can occur due to colder air temperatures, lack of sunlight, or a decrease in water currents.

How does heat energy affect a freezing lake?

Heat energy plays a crucial role in the freezing of a lake. When the air temperature drops below the freezing point, heat energy is transferred from the water to the air. This causes the water temperature to decrease, eventually leading to the formation of ice on the surface of the lake.

Why does a freezing lake appear to be warmer at the bottom?

A freezing lake may appear to be warmer at the bottom because of the phenomenon known as "thermal stratification." This means that the warmer water near the bottom of the lake remains insulated from the cold air above, allowing it to maintain a higher temperature compared to the surface water that is exposed to colder air.

Can a freezing lake have a lower temperature than its freezing point?

No, a freezing lake cannot have a lower temperature than its freezing point. This is because water reaches its maximum density at 39 degrees Fahrenheit or 4 degrees Celsius, and as it cools further, it becomes less dense and rises to the surface. This prevents the water from reaching a temperature lower than its freezing point.

How can a freezing lake affect the surrounding environment?

A freezing lake can have various effects on the surrounding environment. It can provide a habitat for cold-adapted animals and plants, affect water levels in surrounding rivers and streams, and also influence weather patterns in the area. In addition, a thick layer of ice can protect the lake's ecosystem from extreme temperature fluctuations and provide a stable environment for aquatic life during the winter months.