Freezing Water: 100cm³ of Water vs. Ice Cube

In summary, the first conversation discusses a diagram showing a strip of paper tape being pulled by an object moving at constant speed, while the arm above vibrates at a rate of 50 dots per second. The question asks about the speed of the object and the answer is 100cm/s. In the second conversation, the first question asks about the volume of ice that will be produced if 100cm³ of liquid water is placed in the freezer. The answer is no, as the volume will actually decrease due to the decrease in density when water freezes. The second question asks about the changes in density when water freezes, and the answer is that it decreases.
nyrychvantel
352n9l4.jpg

The diagram shows a strip of paper tape that has been pulled under a vibrating arm by an object moving at constant speed. The arm is vibrating regularly, making 50 dots per second.

What was the speed of the object?

A. 2.0cm/s B. 5.0cm/s C. 100cm/s D. 200cm/s

Completely clueless..

2. If you place 100cm³ of liquid water into freezer, will you get a 100cm³ ice cube?

Physics news on Phys.org
1/. First you need to calculate the distance between dots. You are given the distance 10 dots covers, so this is easy. Then multiply by dots per second.

2/. What happens to the density of water as it freezes? Surely you know the answer to that.

joeyar said:
1/. First you need to calculate the distance between dots. You are given the distance 10 dots covers, so this is easy. Then multiply by dots per second.
Distance btw dots are 2cm, btw, do you count the first dot as zero? because I counted there are 11 dots for the 20cm.
Also, do you mean 'divide' by dots per second instead of multiply, because I could not get the answer if I multiply it.
1 dot = 1/50 s
10 dot = 1/5s
s= d/t
s= 20/(1/5)
s=100cm/s
Am i correct?

2/. What happens to the density of water as it freezes? Surely you know the answer to that.
The volume will decrease since the molecules are closer together, thus higher density?

The idea is to actually count the spaces between the dots, not necessarily the dots themselves. 11 dots, 10 spaces.

Your answer is correct, but I did mean multiply: I was actually thinking this:

Distance between dots = 2 cm, so speed = (50 dot/sec)*(2 cm/dot) = 100 cm/sec

2/. For most substances that would be correct, but water is different from most substances. Water actually decreases in density when you freeze it. This is why ice floats on liquid water: the ice has a smaller density than the liquid water.

1). Seems correct to me :D
2) What happens to a full bottle of water in the freezer?

joeyar said:
The idea is to actually count the spaces between the dots, not necessarily the dots themselves. 11 dots, 10 spaces.

Your answer is correct, but I did mean multiply: I was actually thinking this:

Distance between dots = 2 cm, so speed = (50 dot/sec)*(2 cm/dot) = 100 cm/sec

2/. For most substances that would be correct, but water is different from most substances. Water actually decreases in density when you freeze it. This is why ice floats on liquid water: the ice has a smaller density than the liquid water.
Thank you so much! I understand now.

Related to Freezing Water: 100cm³ of Water vs. Ice Cube

1. How does the volume of water change when it freezes into ice?

When water freezes into ice, its volume increases by about 9%. This is because the molecules in water are more spread out when they are in a solid form compared to when they are in a liquid form.

2. Why does ice float on top of water?

Ice floats on top of water because it is less dense than liquid water. When water molecules freeze into a solid form, they form a crystal lattice structure that leaves more space between the molecules. This makes ice less dense and causes it to float on top of the denser liquid water.

3. What happens to the temperature of water as it freezes into ice?

As water freezes into ice, the temperature of the water decreases. This is because energy is released as the water molecules slow down and form bonds with each other to create a solid structure. This energy is released in the form of heat, causing the temperature of the water to decrease.

4. Can you reverse the process of freezing water into ice?

Yes, the process of freezing water into ice is reversible. When ice is heated, it melts back into liquid water. This is because the energy from the heat breaks the bonds between the water molecules, allowing them to move freely and return to their liquid form.

5. Is there a limit to how much water can be frozen into ice?

Yes, there is a limit to how much water can be frozen into ice. This is because as the temperature continues to decrease, the molecules will eventually stop moving and form a solid structure, preventing any further freezing. Additionally, the presence of impurities in the water can also affect its ability to freeze into ice.