Can you continue the French Names Chain?

• Thread starter demelzareveley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chain
In summary, the conversation revolved around creating a chain of French names and discussing the origin and usage of these names. Some examples of French names were mentioned, such as Abban, Nicole, Émile, Étienne, Edmond, and Daniel. The question of whether French versions of names with Latin or Greek origins can be used was also raised. The conversation also touched upon the difficulty of finding French names starting with the letter K, but some suggestions were made, including Katell and Jean-Baptiste Kléber. The topic of French family names, particularly those beginning with L, was also discussed, with examples such as Lamarck and Lily being mentioned.
demelzareveley
Lets make a chain that would cover French Names. I will start with a French name and next person will answer the name which will start with the last letter of the name.
I'll start with Abban.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nicole

Émile

Question: many names have got Latin or Greek origin and are used in many European countries and the US with only slight changes. Can French versions of these names be used too or does it have to have 100% ethymological French origin?

What if the name is your French Grandmother's middle name?

Étienne

And for the sake of changing the letter a reminiscence of Dumas: Edmond.

Last edited:
Daniel (based on the last letter of fresh_42's choice of French name, Edmond).

Lamarck (Jean-Baptiste, originator of theory of inheritance of acquired characteristics)

Is this first name or last name, or either?

Karine (Saporta), French choreographer, dancer, photographer, and short film director.

It seems that French names starting with K are not too common.

For a last name, there is Philippe Katerine, a French singer, or computer scientist Gilles Kahn.

Jonathan Scott said:
Lamarck (Jean-Baptiste, originator of theory of inheritance of acquired characteristics)
"k" is a bit mean for a french word. Luckily Europe is a rather small continent and people traveled a lot.
My suggestions are: Katell (Breton for Catherine) as a first name, and Jean-Baptiste Kléber (french general) for a family name.

Likes Pepper Mint
Jonathan Scott said:
I admit that out of the various "L" family names I chose the one I thought would be most tricky to follow.
It's quite difficult not landing back at "e" for French names, as so many names end with it.

Likes Pepper Mint
Jonathan Scott said:
I admit that out of the various "L" family names I chose the one I thought would be most tricky to follow.
It is quite a challenge, but not impossible.

I'd forgotten about skier Jean-Claude Killy.

Likes Pepper Mint
My cousin Katherine, it might have been spelled Katarin, that's how it was pronounced. For L there is Lily, or Liliane.

Last edited:
Likes Pepper Mint

1. What is the French Names Chain?

The French Names Chain is a game where each person takes turns saying a French name that starts with the last letter of the previous name. For example, if the first person says "Marie," the next person might say "Emile."

2. How many people can play the French Names Chain?

The French Names Chain can be played with any number of people, but it is usually best with at least 3 or 4 players.

3. Is there a specific order or rule for the French Names Chain?

Yes, the names must be said in a continuous chain, meaning that the last letter of the previous name must be the first letter of the next name. Additionally, each name must be a legitimate French name.

4. Can you repeat names in the French Names Chain?

No, each name can only be used once in the game. If a player cannot think of a new name, they can pass their turn to the next player.

5. Is there a winner in the French Names Chain?

The French Names Chain is not a competitive game, so there is no official winner. The goal is to keep the chain going for as long as possible.