How to Calculate Curvature of a Circle Using Frenet Frames

• Thread starter irycio
  • Start date
In summary, a Frenet frame is a set of three mutually orthogonal unit vectors used in mathematics to describe the local geometry of a curve or surface in three-dimensional space. These vectors, known as the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors, are used to calculate curvature and torsion. Curvature is calculated using the formula k = ||dT/ds||, while torsion is calculated using the formula t = -dT/ds * B, where B is the binormal vector. Frenet frames are also used in computer graphics to model and represent smooth curves and surfaces, as they provide the necessary information for calculating orientation and curvature. Additionally, Frenet frames can be applied to both curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space.
irycio

Homework Statement

Now, I've been reading reading a lecture in differential geometry. Not very far have I reached, though. In chapther 2 author introduces a couple of formulas, as follow:
Let [tex] \gamma (s) [/tex] be a parametrized curve. We herewith define:
[tex]T(s)=\frac{d \gamma} {d s} [/tex]
[tex]\kappa=\frac{T'(s)}{||T(s)||} [/tex], T'(s) being of course derivative of T(s).

Homework Equations

Let [tex] \gamma (s) [/tex] be a parametrized curve. We herewith define:
[tex]T(s)=\frac{d \gamma} {d s} [/tex]
[tex]\kappa=||T'(s)|| [/tex], T'(s) being of course derivative of T(s).

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, happy with the new formula I'm trying to compute the curvature of a circle, which I expect to be 1/R, R-radius.
Now, parametrization:
[tex]\gamma=(2*\sin(t),2*\cos(t)) [/tex]
Twice differentiate, calculate norm and...hoorray, the curvature equals 2, making it equal to radius. Obviously, this sucks. But why?Edit: Ok, I guess it sucks because the formulas require me to use an arc length parametrization, not a random one. Any recommendations on it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, great job on trying to apply the formulas you learned in your lecture! It's always good to practice and apply what you have learned. However, as you have mentioned, the parametrization you used for the circle is not an arc length parametrization. In order to use the formulas correctly, you need to use an arc length parametrization, which means that the parameter s represents the arc length along the curve.

For a circle, the arc length parametrization would be:

\gamma(s)=(R\cos(s/R), R\sin(s/R))

Where R is the radius of the circle.

Using this parametrization, you can easily see that the curvature is indeed 1/R as expected.

I hope this helps and keep up the good work!

1. What is a Frenet frame in mathematics?

A Frenet frame is a set of three mutually orthogonal unit vectors that describe the local geometry of a curve or surface in three-dimensional space. These vectors are known as the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors and are used to calculate curvature and torsion.

2. How is curvature calculated using Frenet frames?

Curvature is calculated using the formula k = ||dT/ds||, where dT/ds is the derivative of the tangent vector with respect to arc length. This represents the rate at which the curve is turning at a given point and is a measure of its curvature.

3. What is the relationship between Frenet frames and torsion?

Torsion is a measure of the twisting or bending of a curve or surface in three-dimensional space. It is calculated using the formula t = -dT/ds * B, where B is the binormal vector. Frenet frames are used to calculate torsion by providing the necessary vectors for this formula.

4. How are Frenet frames used in computer graphics?

Frenet frames are used in computer graphics to model and represent smooth curves and surfaces. They are used to calculate the orientation and curvature of the curve or surface at each point, which is essential for creating realistic and smooth animations and 3D models.

5. Are Frenet frames only applicable to curves in three-dimensional space?

No, Frenet frames can also be used to describe surfaces in three-dimensional space. In this case, the tangent vector represents the direction of the surface, the normal vector represents the orientation of the surface, and the binormal vector represents the direction of the surface's curvature.