1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of wave on a string

1. May 8, 2006 #1

kel

Hi

I have a question that I'm not sure how to answer, it goes like this:

A string along which waves can travel in 2.7m long and has a mass of 260g. The tension is 36N. What must the frequency of a travelling wave of amplitude 7.70mm be if the average power transmitted is 85W?

I was going to use the average power question and worked out that the linear density would be 0.96 (or 9.6e-3), but I'm not sure how to go about finding the angular frequency or height of the wave (e.g. y) with the info given in the question or am I going about this in completely the wrong fashion?

Also, where is the equation editor in this forum? I was going to write out the Power equ' but it would look fairly untidy in normal text.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2

kel

Just realised the height (y) is the amplitude squared - which I work out to be:

7.7mm = 7.7e-3 m, so that squared should be 5.929e-5, I think.

If this is correct then I just need the velocity and angular wavelength.

4. May 8, 2006 #3

kel

ok, slight update. I have now worked out that the linear density is in fact 0.096 and the amplitude is 7.7e-3

Could anyone tell me how I get the velocity from this? I mean the speed of the wave v
    (p=1/2*linear density*v*w^2*y^2)
    Thanks

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  5. May 8, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The velocity on a wave can be obtained using the equation;

[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{T}{\frac{m}{L}}}[/tex]

This can be derrived from the wave equation

~H

6. May 8, 2006 #5

kel

Thanks,
    I just realised that I can use the root of tension/linear density.

and got a value of 19.36, does that sound about right?

7. May 8, 2006 #6

kel

Aha !!

How does this sound?

w^2= 85/0.5*(0.096)*19.36*(7.7e-3)^2
    w^2= 1542733.411
    w = root of the above = 1242 rad/s
    f = w/2pi = 197.67 Hz

8. May 8, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would agree with that.

~H

9. May 8, 2006 #8

kel

HOOOOORRRAYYYY!

Hey are you any good with wave interference? My lecturer has been crafty and given us a question where I have 2 waves which interfere, but the only equation given is that of the resultant wave and I don't know how to resolve them back into their component waves.

I know it's along the lines of vector algebra, but I'm clueless on this one I'm afraid.

10. May 8, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would also agree with that. Well done, you solved it without any help from me, I feel reducntant now :tongue2: . By the way, to insert mathematical equations see this thread; https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997 . Also, if you click on any formulae in these forums a pop up will present the code used to produce the equation.

~H

11. May 8, 2006 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you post your question I guarantee someone on PF will be able to answer it :biggrin:

~H

12. May 8, 2006 #11

kel

Cheers! I'm sure I owe u a few beers by now tho!

13. May 8, 2006 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not a problem my friend :smile: . Damn, this virtual beer sure does taste good :cool:

~H

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?