1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency Shift Question

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the frequency shift of a 72 GHz police radar signal when it reflects off a car moving at 111 km/h? (Radar waves travel at the speed of light = 340 m/s.)

--------
    f' = f(1 +- u/v) (moving observer, + appr, -receding)
    f' = f/(1 +- u/v) (moving source, - appr, +receding)
    --------

f = 72 GHz = 72 * 10^9 Hz.
    u = 111 * 10^3 / 3600 m/s
    v = 340 m/s

f' = f(1+u/v)
    f'' = f(1+u/v)/(1-u/v)
    f'' = (72 * 10^9 Hz)(1+(111 * 10^3 / 3600 m/s)/340)(1-(111 * 10^3 / 3600 m/s)/340)

Calculating this formula does not give the correct result. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The speed of light is actually a lot larger than 340 m/s. It seems you're using the speed of sound instead.

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    Wow, that is probably the reason. The whole chapter was on sound so I thought the problem was, too, and didn't read it correctly. Did I make any other mistakes? Thanks.

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't remember the exact formulas and don't have them handy, I just spotted the velocity error so I posted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?