Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freshman in an electronic engineering program

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm a freshman in an electronic engineering program in university. Throughout the course we're supposed to learn how to program using C. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to learn C++ on my own instead. From what I gather, C++ is a superset of C however I've also been told that some hardware can strictly be programmed only using C. Is this true? If yes, are there any C ebooks/books that you suggest I use to learn C?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Programming

I use C a lot for embedded system real-time programming. C++ would probably work as well, but the embedded systems I work with use a real-time extension of C, so C++ is not an option.

The standard textbook for C is K&R. The first edition left a lot to be desired, but the current edition is very complete and userul, IMO:

https://www.amazon.com/Programming-...ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255154539&sr=8-1-catcorr

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3

C it is then... Thanks for replying berkeman

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4

C and C++ are similar, it might be useful to pick up C++ later on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook