Freshman Year Update/ Smart Scholarship

In summary, I am enjoying freshman year at college and everything is going great. I resurrected SPS at my school and am about to start some research with my professor on scientific reasoning and optics, which will hopefully get published when we finish. My classes are going good and with some studying and good luck I should be able to get mostly A's this semester. My question is does anyone think I have a shot at the smart scholarship. I really want an internship of some sort this summer with the government or a civilian military contractor. From what I've looked at the smart scholarship seems perfect, but they don't accept many people into the program and even fewer freshman. If you don't think I have a shot at it then what are some other
Codyt
I'm only about a month into freshman year at college, but everything has been going great so far. I resurrected SPS at my school and am about to start some research with my professor on scientific reasoning and optics, which will hopefully get published when we finish. My classes are going good and with some studying and good luck I should be able to get mostly A's this semester. My question is does anyone think I have a shot at the smart scholarship. I really want an internship of some sort this summer with the government or a civilian military contractor. From what I've looked at the smart scholarship seems perfect, but they don't accept many people into the program and even fewer freshman. If you don't think I have a shot at it then what are some other options.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether you think you've a shot or not matters far more than what a random person on the Internet thinks. Go for it.

I know, but I like to hear the opinions of others. I guess my real question is would that be the best internship as far as pay and experience?

If you want to go to grad school do not go with a SMART scholarship. They will want you to work for them after you finish school. Let SMART pay for your grad school, if you want to go. The pay is very good. Plus a federal job after you finish.

It won't hurt anything to apply. I applied for it last year and made it through to a finalist but stalled after that, I will probably give it a shot again this year. The SMART award is a bit different than a standard scholarship because from what I understand, its not accomplishment based neccessarily. i.e. They don't just give it to whoever has the most gold stars. Its more important that you have a skill that would be applicable at a sponsoring location. It seems to be rare, but not unheard of, that a freshman is awarded it. But heck, go for it. And even if you aren't sure about the whole scholarship for service deal, you can decide on that if you actually are offered the award. There's a bunch of info about the scholarship at http://thesmartforum.org/ I would strongly recommend searching around there.

in addition to my previous post...

Codyt said:
I know, but I like to hear the opinions of others. I guess my real question is would that be the best internship as far as pay and experience?

You can't think of it as just an internship. I assume you've read a bit about how it works, but if you get the award, you agree to intern over the summer, and then work for them for a couple of years. To answer your question, I don't know many ways to beat the pay ~20k a year in monthly stipends if I remember right. And its not as much about experience as it is preparation for a job you have already accepted come graduation.

And once again, you have nothing to lose and quite a bit to gain by applying.

Thanks everyone, my physics professor is helping me on the application now.

What is the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship?

The Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship is a program that provides financial support and mentorship opportunities to undergraduate students pursuing degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields.

Who is eligible for the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship?

To be eligible for the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship, students must be enrolled in a STEM degree program at an accredited college or university and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. They must also be U.S. citizens, nationals, or permanent residents.

What are the benefits of the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship?

The benefits of the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship include a $2,000 stipend for the first year of college, access to mentorship opportunities with professionals in the STEM field, and the possibility of renewed funding for up to three additional years.

How can I apply for the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship?

To apply for the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship, students must submit an application through the program's website. The application typically requires personal information, academic transcripts, and an essay or personal statement.

What are the selection criteria for the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship?

The selection criteria for the Freshman Year Update/Smart Scholarship include academic achievement, financial need, and a demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in a STEM field. Applicants may also be evaluated based on their personal statements, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities.