Fresnel Coefficient for Unpolarised Light

In summary, the homework asks for the Fresnel coefficient for a linearly polarized plane wave, which is incident under an angle theta. The wave has two polarizations, and the student is concerned that the average of the two Fresnel coefficients is not a good approach. The student suggests taking the root of the sum of the squares of the polarizations to solve for the Fresnel coefficient.
Ikaros
Homework Statement

A homework problem asks me to find the Fresnel coefficient for a linearly polarised plane wave, which is incident under an angle theta, whose electric field vector can be given as:

E=Ecos[itex]\hat{s}[/itex]+Esin[itex]\hat{p}[/itex]

[itex]\hat{s}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] are the unit vectors for s-polarised and p-polarised waves.

The attempt at a solution

The previous question on my homework sheet asked me to derive the Fresnel equations for s and p-polarised waves, which I did starting with the bondary conditions. Here, I believe I have an unpolarised wave. My initial assumption was to take the average of both s and p-polarised light that I worked out previously.

For example,

r([itex]\theta[/itex]i)=(rs+rp)/2

and

t([itex]\theta[/itex]i)=1-r([itex]\theta[/itex]i)

However, I'm concerned this is an oversimplification and a more robust approach is in order. I'd love a nudge in the right direction or a thumbs up if my initial approach looks fine.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your purposes (this question) unpolarized fields do not exist. You may combine the polarizations; such as what piece of film or a camera does. But there is no unpolarized light.

Antiphon said:
For your purposes (this question) unpolarized fields do not exist. You may combine the polarizations; such as what piece of film or a camera does. But there is no unpolarized light.
A poor choice of word by me, but I did account for the polarisation components due to the wave's orientation by averaging the Fresnel coefficients in my attempt above.

I note an error in my opening post as the wave should be E=Ecos[itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]\hat{s}[/itex]+Esin[itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]\hat{p}[/itex].

The wave is alinged by [itex]\alpha[/itex] with the two terms representing the relevant polarisation component projections. Therefore, the s and p-polarised components could be expressed by their own Fresnel equations - I just need to combine them. I'm just not sure how (I should have taken a Maths minor...) I'd appretiate any help.

Last edited:
Averaging fields in not ideal; you should combine them by summing squares (and perhaps taking the root of the sum) because the two polarizations cannot interfere but their separate powers would add.

This is what an "unpolarized detector" would measure as the reflection.

Antiphon said:
Averaging fields in not ideal; you should combine them by summing squares (and perhaps taking the root of the sum) because the two polarizations cannot interfere but their separate powers would add.

This is what an "unpolarized detector" would measure as the reflection.
Thanks for the tip. That looks like the way to go.

Related to Fresnel Coefficient for Unpolarised Light

1. What is the Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light?

The Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light is a measure of the amount of light reflected off a surface at a specific angle of incidence. It takes into account the refractive indices of the two materials involved, as well as the angle of incidence and the polarization state of the incident light.

2. How is the Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light calculated?

The Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light can be calculated using the Fresnel equations, which take into account the refractive indices of the two materials and the angle of incidence. It can also be calculated using the reflectance and transmittance coefficients, which are related to the Fresnel coefficient via the law of conservation of energy.

3. What is the significance of the Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light?

The Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light is significant because it determines the amount of light that is reflected off a surface at a specific angle of incidence. This can have practical applications in areas such as optics, where controlling the amount of light reflected can be important for achieving desired effects.

4. How does the Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light change with different materials?

The Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light can vary depending on the refractive indices of the two materials involved. Materials with higher refractive indices will typically have a higher Fresnel coefficient, meaning that more light will be reflected off their surfaces at a given angle of incidence.

5. Can the Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light be affected by the angle of incidence?

Yes, the Fresnel coefficient for unpolarised light is highly dependent on the angle of incidence. As the angle of incidence increases, more light will be reflected off the surface, and the Fresnel coefficient will also change. This can be seen in phenomena such as total internal reflection, where a high angle of incidence can lead to all light being reflected off a surface.