Fresnel Equations for the Power of Reflectance and Transmittance

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the power of reflectance and transmittance for both S-polarized and P-polarized light. The equations for this relationship are provided and the question of how to confirm this relationship is discussed. The process involves using trig substitutions and finding alternate forms of trig expressions, ultimately resulting in the confirmation that both R+T=1 for both types of light.
Athenian
Homework Statement
Check for ##R + T = 1## for both S-polarized and P-polarized light.
Relevant Equations
S-polarized Light
$$R_s + T_s = 1 \Longrightarrow \frac{sin^2 (\theta_t - \theta_i)}{sin^2 (\theta_t + \theta_i)} + \frac{sin(2\theta_i) sin(2\theta_t)}{sin^2 (\theta_t + \theta_i)} = 1$$

P-polarized light
$$R_p + T_p = 1 \Longrightarrow \frac{tan^2 (\theta_t - \theta_i)}{tan^2 (\theta_t + \theta_i)} + \frac{sin(2\theta_i) sin(2 \theta_t)}{sin^2 (\theta_t + \theta_i) cos^2 (\theta_i - \theta_t)} = 1$$
I understand that the power of reflectance and the power of transmittance (regardless of it being S-polarized or P-polarized light), when added together, would equal to one. In other words, ##R+T=1##. However, how do I go about checking for this fact?

Using the equations from the "Relevant Equations" above, I find that ##R_s + T_s = 1## or ##\frac{sin^2 (\theta_t - \theta_i)}{sin^2 (\theta_t + \theta_i)} + \frac{sin(2\theta_i) sin(2\theta_t)}{sin^2 (\theta_t + \theta_i)} = 1##. Now, how do check if this is indeed true rather than simply believing it to be true without checking?

Similarly, I know that ##R_p + T_p = 1## (for P-polarized light). And, I also know that through expanding the equation that ##\frac{tan^2 (\theta_t - \theta_i)}{tan^2 (\theta_t + \theta_i)} + \frac{sin(2\theta_i) sin(2 \theta_t)}{sin^2 (\theta_t + \theta_i) cos^2 (\theta_i - \theta_t)} = 1##. Likewise, though, how do I check and confirm this as true?

Any assistance and hints to help me understand how to go about solving this question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this post!

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I was able to finally solve this. To make a long calculation process simplified with a couple of words, the process involved A LOT of trig substitutions or finding alternate forms of a trig expression. In the end, one would find that both the numerator and the denominator contain the same expression, thus equalling to 1.

1. What are the Fresnel equations for the power of reflectance and transmittance?

The Fresnel equations describe the behavior of light when it encounters an interface between two media with different refractive indices. They provide a mathematical relationship between the angle of incidence, the angle of reflection, and the amount of light that is reflected and transmitted at the interface.

2. How do the Fresnel equations differ for different types of polarization?

The Fresnel equations differ for different types of polarization, such as p-polarization (perpendicular to the plane of incidence) and s-polarization (parallel to the plane of incidence). This is because different polarizations interact differently with the interface, resulting in different reflectance and transmittance values.

3. What factors affect the power of reflectance and transmittance according to the Fresnel equations?

The power of reflectance and transmittance according to the Fresnel equations is affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two media, and the polarization of the incident light. Additionally, the wavelength of the light and the surface roughness of the interface can also have an impact on the reflectance and transmittance values.

4. How are the Fresnel equations used in practical applications?

The Fresnel equations are used in many practical applications, such as in the design of optical coatings for lenses and mirrors, in the development of anti-reflective coatings for glasses and screens, and in the study of light propagation through different materials. They are also important in understanding the behavior of light in various optical devices, such as polarizers and beam splitters.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fresnel equations?

While the Fresnel equations are a useful tool for understanding the behavior of light at interfaces, they do have limitations. They assume that the media are non-magnetic, non-absorbing, and have a smooth interface. In reality, these assumptions may not always hold true, and more complex equations may be needed to accurately describe the behavior of light in these situations.