Friction and Constant velocity

In summary, a car of mass 1000kg is sliding down a hill with coefficients of friction us=0.89 and uk=0.61. To find the inclination angle at which the car will slide down the hill with a constant velocity, the sum of forces must be set to 0. This includes the weight force pulling the car down the slope (m*g*sin(theta)) and the normal force and friction force. The correct component of the weight force must be used for the required direction.
CaptainSFS

Homework Statement

A car of mas m = 1000kg is sliding down a hill. The coefficients of friction between the car's tires and the ground are us=0.89 and uk=0.61. For what inclination angle will the car slide down the hill with a constant velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I realize that because it is constant velocity, the acceleration is 0, so the summation of the forces needs to be 0, but i don't know how to set this up. Any help?

Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainSFS said:
Now I realize that because it is constant velocity, the acceleration is 0, so the summation of the forces needs to be 0, but i don't know how to set this up.

Hi CaptainSFS! :smile:

Hint: there are only three forces … the weight, the normal force, and the friction force … so set up a force triangle :smile:

hello, yes, so i have my two frictional forces pointing upwards on the slope. I set it up like this... (1000)(9.81cos(theta))(.89)+(1000)(9.81cos(theta))(.61)-?=0 ...If this is correct, which I am not so sure b/c it just seems like I wouldn't be able to create an opposite force to equal it, so that the acceleration is 0. These frictional forces really confuse me, and I feel like I keep setting it up wrong.

CaptainSFS said:
hello, yes, so i have my two frictional forces pointing upwards on the slope. I set it up like this... (1000)(9.81cos(theta))(.89)+(1000)(9.81cos(theta))(.61)-?=0 ...If this is correct, which I am not so sure b/c it just seems like I wouldn't be able to create an opposite force to equal it, so that the acceleration is 0. These frictional forces really confuse me, and I feel like I keep setting it up wrong.

Nooo …

i] you can't have both kinetic friction and static friction … it's one or the other

ii] what about the weight force?

okay, so I'm assuming them I will be using the static coefficient because that's the kind tires use on pavement and whatnot. For the weight force... would that be the force pulling the car down the slope? m*g*sin(theta)?

or do u mean the weight force as 1000*9.81?

CaptainSFS said:
okay, so I'm assuming them I will be using the static coefficient because that's the kind tires use on pavement and whatnot.

Whoa!

that would be for wheels that are rolling

the car is sliding (in other words, the wheels are locked)
For the weight force... would that be the force pulling the car down the slope? m*g*sin(theta)?

or do u mean the weight force as 1000*9.81?

the weight force is mg, and you use its component in the required direction.

okay, so if I'm using it in the required direction, don't I have to use m*g*sin(theta) because gravity isn't pulling it from the side, it's pulling straight down on it?

CaptainSFS said:
okay, so if I'm using it in the required direction, don't I have to use m*g*sin(theta) because gravity isn't pulling it from the side, it's pulling straight down on it?

Yes! Get on with it! :rolleyes:

thanks!

1. What is friction?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move relative to each other. It opposes the motion between the two surfaces and can cause objects to slow down or stop.

2. How does friction affect constant velocity?

Friction can act in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down and eventually reach a constant velocity. However, if the force of friction is equal to the applied force, the object can maintain a constant velocity.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on their roughness, the amount of force pushing them together, and the type of material they are made of. Rougher surfaces and greater force can result in more friction.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Additionally, using smoother materials or reducing the force pushing the surfaces together can also decrease friction.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction is the force that occurs when an object is already in motion. Kinetic friction is typically less than static friction.