Why Do Different Methods Yield Different Accelerations in This Friction Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where two boxes are connected by a string and placed on a frictionless surface. The task is to find the acceleration of the boxes when a force of 60N is applied to the top box. The conversation discusses two possible approaches to solving the problem, but both give different answers. Upon further analysis, it is discovered that the math in the solution is incorrect and the proper force acting on the lower block was not addressed. The conversation concludes with a revised solution that takes into account the different friction forces on the top and bottom blocks.

Homework Statement

Selection_017.png

Homework Equations

F=ma
Ff = N u

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty much, I did the same thing in the solution.

For box A:
N = mg
Ffs = mg*uk = 9.81*20*.4=78.48N

I note that Ffs > 60 N, so the boxes will move with the same acceleration

Now there are two ways I can approach this problem, each gives me a different answer??

1) Take two boxes as the same system, then Fx = 70*a = 60 ==> a = 0.857 m/s^2
2) Look at the FBD of box 2, note that Fx = 50*a = 60 ==> a = 1.2 m/s^2

However, both of these answers are different than the solution.

Where did I mess up (and why do 1 &2 give different solutions?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution messed up the math, although equation is correct. . When you look at the lower Block , you did not properly address the force acting on the lower block. It isn't 60. Draw an FBD.

Likes x86
Check for errata. Looks like they did 60 = 70a --> a = 70/60, which is wrong.

Likes x86
PhanthomJay said:
Solution messed up the math, although equation is correct. . When you look at the lower Block , you did not properly address the force acting on the lower block. It isn't 60. Draw an FBD.

Isn't this the FBD? Ffs on the top block is -60N, and since its an action-reaction pair it should be +60N on the 50kg blockEDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, the friction on the bottom/top block should be different, because its making the top block accelerate.

So the I have more equations to solve:

20a = -Ff + 60
50a = Ff

20a = -50a + 60
70a = 60
a = 60/70

Thank you everyone for your help

Last edited:

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that acts against the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction occur between two boxes?

Friction between two boxes occurs when the surfaces of the boxes rub against each other, causing resistance to the motion of the boxes.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two boxes?

The amount of friction between two boxes is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the weight of the boxes, and the force applied to move the boxes.

4. How can friction between two boxes be reduced?

Friction between two boxes can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces, or by using wheels or rollers to decrease the contact area.

5. Why is friction important in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in everyday life as it allows us to walk, drive, and hold objects without slipping. It also helps in stopping objects from sliding when placed on a surface.