Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction coefficient of drawer slides

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone

Do you know approximately the friction coefficient in drawer slides? I am going to use it in a robotic mechanism.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    I mean... that's incredibly variable. If you have a specific slide, and you know what surface it will be sliding on, then there is a (semi-)quick little experiment you can do to find the coefficient, but the coefficient is going to be different for every single slide/surface combination.

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    i just want to know if there is somebody who has used these slides and known the coefficient of the friction.

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4
    You can just say "it must be about......." this is enough for me.

6. Jan 19, 2010 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rolling element bearings have a coeffient of friction on the order of 0.002. Take a look for http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=linear+bearings&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10&safe=active". They come in all shapes and sizes.

Note that linear bearings can be obtained without rolling elements (ie: balls or rollers). The rubbing element is something like a Teflon bushing, and the coefficient of friction for these types of bearings will be higher.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook