Friction Forces and max braking force

In summary, the coefficient of static friction between a car's tires and a dry road is .62, with a mass of 1500 kg. The maximum braking force obtainable is 9114 N when the car is moving horizontally, and 2198 N when it is on an 8.6 degree downgrade. The correct value for the maximum braking force on the downgrade may be 9000 N, depending on the angle used for horizontal (either 90 or 0 degrees). Additionally, the tension of a string is a measure of how much force it exerts when pulled, but it is difficult to provide a specific explanation without more context.
DeadFishFactory
1. The coefficient of static friction between the tires of a car and a dry road is .62. The mass of the car is 1500 kg. What is the maximum braking force is obtainable:
a. horizontal to the road.
b. on an 8.6 degree downgrade?

2. F=mA f(s)=M(s)N N=mg F=f(s)-mgsin(x)

a. f(s)=.62(9.8)(1500)sin90=9114 N
b. f(s)=.62(9.8)(1500)sin8.6=2198 N

My problem is that "b" isn't correct, I checked the back of the book I was using and they got 9000 N. Can anyone show me how to do this problem? I know I suck at physics. Also, if possible, can anyone explain to me how to find the tension of a string? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If horizontal is 90 degrees, then 8.6 degrees downgrade must be 81.4 degrees. Most people would probably call horizontal 0 degrees and use a cos instead of sin. The tension on a string is "how much it pulls", sorry but that question is really vague.

First, let's clarify the problem. The maximum braking force refers to the maximum force that can be applied by the brakes to stop the car. In this case, we are assuming that the brakes are applied at the tires and the car is not skidding on the road.

To find the maximum braking force, we need to use the formula F=μN, where μ is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force. The normal force is the force exerted by the road on the tires and is equal to the weight of the car, which is given by mg.

a. For a horizontal road, the normal force is equal to the weight of the car, so N=mg=1500 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 14700 N. Therefore, the maximum braking force is F=μN=0.62 x 14700 N = 9114 N.

b. For an 8.6 degree downgrade, the normal force is equal to the component of the weight of the car perpendicular to the road, which is given by mgcosθ, where θ is the angle of the incline. In this case, θ=8.6 degrees, so the normal force is N=mgcos8.6=1500 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 x cos8.6 = 14796 N. Therefore, the maximum braking force is F=μN=0.62 x 14796 N = 9171 N.

The reason why the answer in the book is different is because they may have used a different value for the coefficient of static friction or rounded their answers differently.

To find the tension of a string, we need to use the formula T=mg+ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. This formula is based on Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration.

In order to use this formula, we need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration of the object. The acceleration of the object can be calculated using the formula a=F/m, where F is the net force acting on the object and m is the mass of the object.

For example, if we have a mass of 5 kg hanging from a string and the string is accelerating upwards at

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the resistance force that acts between two surfaces in contact with each other, which opposes the relative motion or tendency for motion between the two surfaces.

2. How is friction force related to max braking force?

Friction force is directly related to max braking force, as the braking force is the maximum force that can be applied to overcome the friction force between the tires and the road surface.

3. What factors affect friction force?

The factors that affect friction force include the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

4. How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact, or by using smoother or more slippery materials for the surfaces.

5. How does friction force impact vehicle braking distance?

Friction force plays a crucial role in determining the braking distance of a vehicle. The greater the friction force, the shorter the braking distance will be, as the tires can grip the road better and slow down the vehicle faster.