Friction on an inclined plane

In summary: I was forgetting about the mass (m) for part a).For part c) I used the same law. But for part a) I had to use the formula for finding the acceleration.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity, time, and speed of a block moving up and down an inclined plane with given parameters such as angle, length, coefficient of friction, and mass. The conversation involves using equations such as the law of conservation of mechanical energy and the formula for finding acceleration. The correct solutions for parts a) and c) are 10.7m/s and 9m/s, respectively.
Carlitos

Homework Statement

Given an inclined angle of θ = 30° and 10m long. The coefficient of friction is 0,1 and the mas of the block is 1kg.
a) Find the velocity needed for the block to climb the plane and its velocity be 0 in the top.
b) Find the time it took to reach the top.
c) Find the speed of the block when it reaches the bottom after its descent.

I solved a) and c) already (10,7 m/s and 9m/s)

Homework Equations

For a) and c) : Wr + Ec1 + Ep1 = Ec2 + Ep2 ===> u.m.g.cos θ.x + 1/2 m v1^2 + mgh1 = 1/2 m v2^2 + mgh2
For b) : Fr = uN ; Fr = ma ; fv = iv + a.t

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've got to find the acceleration first. But I'm probably messing the equation. Supposedly the friction force (u.N) is equal to mass + acceleration, but I am having second thoughts about if i have to add the weight projected on the x plane (m.g.cos ) ?

∑F = m.a
Fr = m.a
u.m.g.cos210 = m.a
u.g.cos210 = a
-0.84m/s^2 = a <===== Thats wrong i guess.

What am i missing?

Then i should use :

fv = iv + a.t
0 = 10.7m/s + a.t
(-10.7m/s)/a = t

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you guess it's wrong?

We are given the answers, and the time for this item is 1,87s . A number i can't arrive.

I can get 9m/s for part c), but why isn't the answer to part a) the same?

Edit: If you want to get 1.87s, solve a.t=10.7m/s and 10m=0.5a.t^2.

Last edited:
Carlitos said:

Homework Statement

Given an inclined angle of θ = 30° and 10m long. The coefficient of friction is 0,1 and the mas of the block is 1kg.
a) Find the velocity needed for the block to climb the plane and its velocity be 0 in the top.

Homework Equations

For a) and c) : Wr + Ec1 + Ep1 = Ec2 + Ep2 ===> u.m.g.cos θ.x + 1/2 m v1^2 + mgh1 = 1/2 m v2^2 + mgh2

I think I've got to find the acceleration first. But I'm probably messing the equation. Supposedly the friction force (u.N) is equal to mass + acceleration, but I am having second thoughts about if i have to add the weight projected on the x plane (m.g.cos ) ?

∑F = m.a
Fr = m.a
u.m.g.cos210 = m.a
u.g.cos210 = a
-0.84m/s^2 = a <===== Thats wrong i guess.

What am i missing?

Then i should use :

fv = iv + a.t
0 = 10.7m/s + a.t
(-10.7m/s)/a = t
Draw a free body diagram. It should be clear that, as you guessed, the friction force is not the only force along the inclined. There is a component of the force of gravity (equal to mg sin(theta) if theta is the angle of the inclined with respect to the horizontal).

Carlitos said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Regarding the above line:
It would help you to get the solution if you can explain what all those terms mean and especially explain how the second equation comes about.

∑F = m.a
Fr = m.a
u.m.g.cos210 = m.a
u.g.cos210 = a
-0.84m/s^2 = a <===== That's wrong i guess.

What am i missing?

Then i should use :

fv = iv + a.t
0 = 10.7m/s + a.t
(-10.7m/s)/a = t
Did you find the acceleration for going up the ramp or for coming down the ramp?

insightful said:

Edit: If you want to get 1.87s, solve a.t=10.7m/s and 10m=0.5a.t^2.
@insightful ,

Why should answers (a) and (c) be the same?

What are you using for acceleration?

Ooops, never mind. I forgot the friction force is in the opposite direction when going uphill (red face).

nrqed said:
Draw a free body diagram. It should be clear that, as you guessed, the friction force is not the only force along the inclined. There is a component of the force of gravity (equal to mg sin(theta) if theta is the angle of the inclined with respect to the horizontal).

Thanks nrqed, you won a cookie. The acceleration was solved by doing:

Fr + Wx = m.a
u.m.g.sin240 + m.g.cos240 = m.a ==> cancelling all the m
0,1 . 9,8 . (-0.86) + 9,8 . (-0.5) = a
-5.74 = a Then :

fv = iv + a.t
0 = 10.7 + (-5.74) . t
-1.86 = t

SammyS said:
Regarding the above line:
It would help you to get the solution if you can explain what all those terms mean and especially explain how the second equation comes about.Did you find the acceleration for going up the ramp or for coming down the ramp?

That second equation is the law of conservation of energy. English is not my first language so maybe I am not translating into the right standars you guys use.

The acceleration I am working with is always the one that goes up.
insightful said:

I think its because of the friction that you need a higher inicial velocity.Thanks everyone.

Carlitos said:
Thanks nrqed, you won a cookie. The acceleration was solved by doing:

Fr + Wx = m.a
u.m.g.sin240 + m.g.cos240 = m.a ==> cancelling all the m
0,1 . 9,8 . (-0.86) + 9,8 . (-0.5) = a
-5.74 = aThen :

fv = iv + a.t
0 = 10.7 + (-5.74) . t
-1.86 = t

You are welcome :-)

Watch out, solving for t you get t= 1.86 second (not -1.86 s).

1. What is friction on an inclined plane?

Friction on an inclined plane is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves up or down an inclined surface. It is caused by the roughness and unevenness of the surfaces in contact, and it acts parallel to the surface.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect friction?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the friction force acting on the object. This is because as the angle increases, the component of the weight of the object acting parallel to the surface also increases, resulting in a larger friction force.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction on an inclined plane?

The amount of friction on an inclined plane is affected by the weight of the object, the roughness of the surfaces in contact, and the angle of the inclined plane.

4. How can friction on an inclined plane be reduced?

Friction on an inclined plane can be reduced by using smoother surfaces in contact, decreasing the weight of the object, or decreasing the angle of the inclined plane.

5. How is friction on an inclined plane different from friction on a flat surface?

Unlike friction on a flat surface, friction on an inclined plane is dependent on the angle of the surface. It also acts parallel to the surface, rather than perpendicular like on a flat surface.