Frictional force acting between 2 stacked blocks

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, A and B, with masses of 25kg and 10kg respectively, moving with a constant acceleration of 2m/s^2 to the right. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.8. The question asks for the static frictional force acting between the blocks, with options ranging from 20N to 274N. After considering different scenarios, it can be concluded that the force F must be applied to the bottom block A, resulting in a frictional force of 20N, as given in the answer key.
Rococo

Homework Statement

NnmqVkQ.png
[/B]
In the figure above, block A has mass ##m_A=25kg## and block B has mass ##m_B=10kg##. Both blocks move with constant acceleration ##a=2m/s^2## to the right, and the coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is ##\mu_s = 0.8##. The static frictional force acting between the blocks is:
A) 20 N
B) 50 N
C) 78 N
D) 196 N
E) 274 N

Homework Equations

##F_{net} = ma##
## f_s = \mu_s N ## (if blocks are at the point of slipping)

The correct answer is supposed to be A) 20N.

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the system as a whole the overall force F acting on the blocks is:

## F = (m_A + m_B)a = (25+10)(2) N = 70N ##

I was confused about this question because it doesn't say if this force is applied to the top or bottom block. For example if it was applied to the bottom block A you have:

Block A: ## F - f_s = m_A a ## giving ## f_s = 70 - (25)(2) = 20N ##

Block B: ## f_s = m_B a ## giving ## f_s = (10)(2) = 20N ##

Which gives the frictional force as 20N, as given in the answer key.

However if the force F was applied to the top block B you have:

Block A: ## f_s = m_A a ## giving ## f_s = (25)(2) = 50N ##

Block B: ## F - f_s = m_B a ## giving ## f_s = 70 - (10)(2) = 50N ##

But this gives the frictional force between the blocks as 50N.

So I was wondering how this problem is supposed to be solved, given only the information in the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rococo said:
I was confused about this question because doesn't say if this force is applied to the top or bottom block.
Bad problem statement, but applying it to the upper one would be very unusual, it would also mean there is information missing (the coefficient of friction with the surface).

mfb said:
Bad problem statement, but applying it to the upper one would be very unusual, it would also mean there is information missing (the coefficient of friction with the surface).

Thank you, I think I see now, that I should have said the 70N is actually the net force ##F_{net}## acting on the block system, which will be equal to ##F - f_g## where ##F## is the 'applied force' and ##f_g## is the friction between the ground and the block system.

Then if the force F was applied to the top block B you get:

Block A: ## f_s - f_g = m_A a##
Block B: ## F - f_s = m_B a##

From which it's impossible to find the frictional force between the blocks, ##f_s##, since as you said the coefficient of friction with the ground is unknown, and we only know ##F_{net} = F - f_g##.

So the force F must be applied to the bottom block A giving:

Block A: ## F - f_g - f_s = m_A a ## i.e. ## F_{net} - f_s = m_A a##
Block B: ## f_s = m_B a ##

Which gives ## f_s = 20N ## as given in the answer key.

What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a type of force that opposes the motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

How is frictional force calculated?

Frictional force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are) by the normal force (the force exerted by one surface on the other).

What affects the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants.

Can frictional force be reduced?

Yes, frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, making the surfaces smoother, or by reducing the force pressing the surfaces together.

How does frictional force affect the movement of the stacked blocks?

Frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the intended motion, so it will slow down the movement of the stacked blocks. It also helps to prevent the blocks from sliding past each other.