Acceleration of Ball on Frictionless Slope

In summary, based on a formula derived without taking into account friction, the acceleration of a ball rolling down a slope is in terms of kinetic energy and potential energy. If the same ball is to slide down the same surface but this time frictionless, then the acceleration would be zero.
KiNGGeexD
I derived a formula for the acceleration of a ball of uniform mass rolling down a slope at some angle to the vertical, without slipping and did so in terms of kinetic energy and potential energy!

I was then posed the question if the same ball was to slide down the same surface but this time frictionless what would acceleration then be?

When I derived acceleration I didn't take into account friction or even fore for that matter so not sure if I am to answer in maths or using words?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of friction being present, then you would have the consider the work done by friction in your energy calculation.

What's the difference between "rolling down without slipping" and "sliding down"?

If it was slipping there would be no inertia so the ball would roll faster:)

I do not see how slipping and inertia are connected, but, more importantly, why would the ball start rolling?

Well inertia is the analogue of mass so hence it's resistance to move? So if the ball isn't rolling it's inertia doesn't play a roll, only the mass matters?

Inertia is not an analogue of mass, inertia is mass. But what you seem to mean is the moment of inertia, which is indeed an analog of mass in rotary motion. Use proper terms, they matter.

If the ball is not rolling, that is to say, not rotating, then its moment of inertia would not play any role.

But the question, again, is: would the ball roll or not on a friction-less surface?

No the ball would not roll

It would slide.

Could the solution be that acceleration is constant as I have just noticed it is a problem which would only be worth 1 mark

And I apologise I meant to say moment of inertia

Well friction is the reason the ball rolls so it wouldn't roll

Is it perhaps

F= mg sin θ

a= F/m

So

mg sin θ/m = g sin θ

You are on the right track, but is the sine function correct? You said the angle was with the vertical, so the smaller the angle, the greater the force should be, right?

I mis typed in that case the angle is θ to the horizontal:)

Would this be correct in that case?

Yes, that looks good.

Ah ok that is simple I suppose!

Critical thinking! LolThanks so much for you help, always appreciated:)

1. What is the acceleration of a ball on a frictionless slope?

The acceleration of a ball on a frictionless slope is constant and equal to the slope of the slope. This means that the ball will gain speed at a constant rate as it rolls down the slope.

2. How does the angle of the slope affect the acceleration of the ball?

The angle of the slope directly affects the acceleration of the ball. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration of the ball will be. This is because the steeper the slope, the greater the gravitational force acting on the ball, causing it to accelerate faster.

3. Does the mass of the ball affect its acceleration on a frictionless slope?

No, the mass of the ball does not affect its acceleration on a frictionless slope. In this scenario, the only force acting on the ball is gravity, which is a constant force regardless of the mass of the object. Therefore, the acceleration of the ball will be the same regardless of its mass.

4. Is the acceleration of the ball on a frictionless slope affected by air resistance?

No, the acceleration of the ball on a frictionless slope is not affected by air resistance. In this scenario, the ball is rolling without any external forces acting on it, including air resistance. This is why it is important to specify that the slope is frictionless, as friction from the air would affect the acceleration of the ball.

5. How can the acceleration of the ball on a frictionless slope be calculated?

The acceleration of the ball on a frictionless slope can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the slope. This formula assumes that there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the ball.