What is the Science Behind Using Latin Abbreviations Incorrectly on Purpose?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a person discussing their use of medication and joking about needing to increase their dosage. They also mention confusion about the Latin abbreviations "i.e." and "e.g." and jokingly admit to using them incorrectly.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
This is so tempting for me to do hahahaha

skip meds.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
davenn said:
This is so tempting for me to do hahahaha
Wait ... what? You've been ON your meds all this time?

Likes Sophia
phinds said:
Wait ... what? You've been ON your meds all this time?

hahahaha ... does that infer I need to up the dose ?? :wink::-p

Greg Bernhardt said:
Wait, it's still Thursday here :biggrin:

that was "so yesterday" :-p

It's Friday here. :oldwink:

davenn said:
hahahaha ... does that infer I need to up the dose ?? :wink::-p
You need to look up infer and imply, but yes :smile:

phinds said:
You need to look up infer and imply, but yes :smile:
hmmmm...
Yesterday, I couldn't decide between i.e. and e.g., so I used both; "...id est, exempli gratia: Everyone is either broke, or going broke. And when you're broke, you can't fix ****. And when you can't fix ****, **** stays broke. hmmmm... Someone needs to fix this ****! Kapeesh"?

Likes davenn
OmCheeto said:
hmmmm...
Yesterday, I couldn't decide between i.e. and e.g., so I used both; "...id est, exempli gratia: Everyone is either broke, or going broke. And when you're broke, you can't fix ****. And when you can't fix ****, **** stays broke. hmmmm... Someone needs to fix this ****! Kapeesh"?
You have implied that you find those Latin abbreviation confusing and from that I infer that you don't use them very often.

phinds said:
You have implied that you find those Latin abbreviation confusing and from that I infer that you don't use them very often.
Correct!
But when I do use them, I generally use them incorrectly, on purpose. :biggrin:

1. What does "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" mean?

"I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" is a phrase commonly used to express a strong desire or temptation to do something, often with a playful or mischievous tone.

2. Is "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" a scientific term?

No, "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" is not a scientific term. It is a colloquial expression used in everyday conversations.

3. Can "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" be used in a professional setting?

No, it is not appropriate to use "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" in a professional setting. It is more commonly used in informal or casual situations.

4. How did "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" originate?

The exact origin of "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" is unclear, but it is believed to have originated as a slang phrase in the late 20th century.

5. Can "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" have a negative connotation?

Yes, depending on the context and tone, "I'm Tempted to Do It: Hahaha!" can have a negative connotation and may be perceived as sarcastic or insincere.