Boiling Tap Water for Drinking: Benefits & Risks

In summary, boiling water for drinking does not present any adverse effects. Water from other safe sources might be softer, but should not contain more minerals.
Herbascious J
TL;DR Summary
Recently I have been boiling tap water, for about 30 minutes, everyday for drinking water.
Recently I have been boiling tap water, for about 30 minutes, everyday for drinking water. The reason I do it is because I don't like the taste of chlorimines and chlorine and this is the only way I know to get rid of them without also losing minerals. It works great, and in fact, the water tastes slightly 'harder' if that makes sense, I'm guessing due to the concentrating of the minerals as the water loses H2O to steam. Because I boil for 30 mintues, I lose approximately 15-20% of the volume of water. My question is; does this present any issues for daily drinking water? I live in the California East Bay Area and we have outstanding water from the Mokulumne water shed in the Sierra Nevada mountains north of Yosemite and south of Lake Tahoe. Some concerns I have is if I'm concentrating minerals too much, metals too much, or even concentrating pH buffers and raising alkalinity. I'm curious to hear any angle people would like to discuss about this topic no matter how eccentric. Cheers and thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I doubt changes in the concentrations you are introducing make the water harder/contain more minerals than water from other safe sources.

Assuming your boiling container is free from possible contamination, this process should provide no adverse effects. It should mildly elevate concentrations of minerals and might cause precipitation of anything saturated.
Also makes it easier to make tea or coffee...

Boiling water is for the purpose of killing off/rendering inert bacteria and viruses. 25-30min sounds unnecessary.

Likes Herbascious J and phinds
Boiling water usually makes water softer. The solubility of alkaline Earth carbonates is less in hot water than cold. That is, unless you are drinking the slurry of precipitated minerals without decanting.

I also looked at the 2019 Annual Water Quality Report and the only contaminant you need to watch is the fluoride. It is currently controlled to a max level of 0.8 ppm. Concentrating that by 20% brings it to ~1 ppm which is 1 ppm away from the max recommended level of 2 ppm. Not a big problem, though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes ChemAir, BillTre, Herbascious J and 1 other person

1. Is boiling tap water necessary for drinking?

Boiling tap water is not necessary for all tap water. In most developed countries, tap water is already treated and safe for consumption. However, in areas with poor water infrastructure or during natural disasters, boiling tap water can be necessary to kill harmful bacteria and viruses.

2. What are the benefits of boiling tap water for drinking?

Boiling tap water can kill harmful bacteria and viruses, making it safe for consumption. It can also remove any foul odors or tastes, making the water more palatable. Additionally, boiling tap water can help remove certain chemicals and heavy metals that may be present in the water.

3. Are there any risks associated with boiling tap water for drinking?

Boiling tap water does not completely remove all contaminants. Some chemicals, such as lead and nitrates, can actually become more concentrated in the water after boiling. Boiling tap water also does not remove any physical impurities, such as dirt or sediment. Additionally, boiling tap water can be time-consuming and may not be practical for everyday use.

4. How long should tap water be boiled for it to be safe for drinking?

The general recommendation is to bring tap water to a rolling boil for at least one minute. This will ensure that all harmful bacteria and viruses are killed. However, if you are at a higher altitude, you may need to boil the water for longer to achieve the same effect.

5. Can boiling tap water remove all contaminants?

No, boiling tap water does not remove all contaminants. Some chemicals, such as pesticides and herbicides, have a lower boiling point than water and may not be removed through boiling. Additionally, boiling tap water does not remove any physical impurities, such as dirt or sediment. It is important to use other methods, such as filtration, to ensure the removal of all contaminants.