• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

From what height was the ball thrown?

1. Homework Statement
A ball thrown horizontally at 24m/s travels a horizontal distance of 52 m before hitting the ground. From what height was the ball thrown?

2. Homework Equations
Kinematic equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know that the velocity needs to broken into its components. I think the angle is 90 degrees, but I'm not sure. After the components are found, I don't know where to go. I know you're supposed to plug the variable into the y equations to find the time, and then plug the time into the x equation to find displacement or whatever else. But in this problem you're looking for the height in the y direction. I'm just confused.

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement
A ball thrown horizontally at 24m/s travels a horizontal distance of 52 m before hitting the ground. From what height was the ball thrown?

2. Homework Equations
Kinematic equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I know that the velocity needs to broken into its components. I think the angle is 90 degrees, but I'm not sure. After the components are found, I don't know where to go. I know you're supposed to plug the variable into the y equations to find the time, and then plug the time into the x equation to find displacement or whatever else. But in this problem you're looking for the height in the y direction. I'm just confused.
Yes, you would need in gneral to break up the velocity into components, but in this problem, it is given that it is thrown horizontally in the x direction, so what is its y component of velocity if it is thrown directly in the horizontal direction? What is its x component of velocity?

Ok, so the angle is zero. So is the y component zero and is the x component 24m/s?

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Ok, so the angle is zero. So is the y component zero and is the x component 24m/s?
Yes. So how long does it take to hit the ground (use the kinematic motion equation in the x direction that relates horizontal distance with horizontal velocity and time). The once you have the time, work on the height.

I got it!! The time is 2.167, which makes the height 23.01. Thank you soooo much!!!