1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From what height was the ball thrown?

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball thrown horizontally at 24m/s travels a horizontal distance of 52 m before hitting the ground. From what height was the ball thrown?

2. Relevant equations
    Kinematic equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the velocity needs to broken into its components. I think the angle is 90 degrees, but I'm not sure. After the components are found, I don't know where to go. I know you're supposed to plug the variable into the y equations to find the time, and then plug the time into the x equation to find displacement or whatever else. But in this problem you're looking for the height in the y direction. I'm just confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you would need in gneral to break up the velocity into components, but in this problem, it is given that it is thrown horizontally in the x direction, so what is its y component of velocity if it is thrown directly in the horizontal direction? What is its x component of velocity?

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    Ok, so the angle is zero. So is the y component zero and is the x component 24m/s?

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. So how long does it take to hit the ground (use the kinematic motion equation in the x direction that relates horizontal distance with horizontal velocity and time). The once you have the time, work on the height.

6. Sep 17, 2007 #5
    I got it!! The time is 2.167, which makes the height 23.01. Thank you soooo much!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?