Constant k in Friedman Equation Explained

• Thread starter wolfram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the Friedman equation has a constant k value because of the assumptions of homogeneity and isotropy in the universe. This allows for a simplification of the metric and the form of the equation, making it easier to solve. The specific value of k is irrelevant unless one rejects the entire equation and adopts alternative theories.
wolfram
Hi, just a quick question...in the Friedman equation, k takes a value of either 1,0,-1.

But why is it a constant?

Thanks you for your time!

Space news on Phys.org
wolfram said:
Hi, just a quick question...in the Friedman equation, k takes a value of either 1,0,-1.

Well, there are a few ways to think about it. I'll do it by writing down the FRW metric.

First, consider the assumptions: we're assuming that there are observers for which the universe is homogeneous and isotropic. First, let's write down a completely general metric:

[tex]ds^2 = dt^2 + f(x,y,z,t)(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2)[/tex]

This is completely general because if there were a function in front of the time term, I could just perform a coordinate transformation to get rid of it. Now, let's start making use of those assumptions. The first assumption we can make use of is isotropy. This means that this function, whatever it is, cannot be a function of direction, so I can rewrite the metric as:

[tex]ds^2 = dt^2 + f(r, t)(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2)[/tex]

...where r is shorthand for [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex], and not an actual coordinate here.

What remains, then, is to see what sorts of forms are valid for f(r,t) by enforcing the second condition, that of homogeneity. There are a couple of ways of doing this. First, we could make sure that if I perform a change of coordinates by setting [tex]\vec{r}' = \vec{r} + \delta\vec{r}[/tex], and leaving time unchanged, then the metric I should get must be identical. Or, alternatively, I could compute the spatial terms of the curvature tensor and ensure that they are independent of the spatial coordinates. Either will do.

For simplicity's sake, the first thing that we do here is re-write the dependence on time in terms of the expansion factor a(t). Again, this is completely general: all I'm doing is specifying that there exists an invertible function a(t) for some range in t which we can use to determine the coordinate t within that range. Then the function can be cast as f(a, r). It turns out that one choice that works here that is completely general within our assumptions is the following:

[tex]f(a, r) = \frac{a(t)}{1 - kr^2}[/tex]

So, there you have it. Note that I could get a different form if I'd made a(t) a different function of time, but it turns out that since the function is separable in a and r, this makes for the simplest way to write it.

(disclaimer: I haven't actually done this derivation in a while, so I might be misremembering the specifics. But I'm pretty sure this is accurate)

wolfram said:
But why is it [[itex]k[/itex]] a constant?

Chalnoth has offered you a sophisticated view; here is my very down-to-Earth view.

If I look at this form of the first Friedmann equation,

[tex] H^2 = \left(\frac{\dot{a}}{a}\right)^2 = \frac{8 \pi G}{3} \rho - \frac{kc^2}{a^2} + \frac{\Lambda c^2}{3} [/tex]

it tells me that [itex]k[/itex] is the present curvature parameter of the universe, since at present [itex]a=1[/itex]; hence [itex]k[/itex] is constant for a given solution, i.e. closed, open or flat.

Last edited:
More importantly, the value of 'k' is irrelvant unless you reject the entire equation! I don't think you can do that without assuming the burden of some seriously 'out there' theories.

Chronos said:
More importantly, the value of 'k' is irrelvant unless you reject the entire equation! I don't think you can do that without assuming the burden of some seriously 'out there' theories.

Your statements do not seem to make sense to me. :confused: To which post/statement are you replying?

wolfram said:

It can be any value of a real number.But there's a degeneracy between k and redefinition of spatial coordinates.So we set k to be constant for simplicity.

Related to Constant k in Friedman Equation Explained

1. Why is the value of k constant in FRW model?

The value of k, also known as the curvature parameter, is constant in the FRW (Friedmann-Robertson-Walker) model because it is assumed to be spatially homogeneous and isotropic. This means that the curvature of the universe is the same at any given time and in any direction.

2. How does the value of k affect the expansion of the universe in FRW model?

The value of k determines the type of expansion of the universe in the FRW model. A positive value of k indicates a closed universe where the expansion will eventually stop and the universe will collapse. A negative value of k indicates an open universe where the expansion will continue indefinitely. A value of k equal to zero indicates a flat universe where the expansion will slow down but never stop.

3. Is there any evidence for the constant value of k in the FRW model?

There is strong observational evidence for the constant value of k in the FRW model. The cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover heat from the Big Bang, has been measured to be nearly isotropic, supporting the assumption of spatial homogeneity. The observed distribution of galaxies also supports the idea of isotropy.

4. Can the value of k change over time in the FRW model?

In the standard FRW model, the value of k is assumed to be constant over time. However, there are some alternative theories that allow for a varying value of k. These theories are still being studied and are not yet widely accepted in the scientific community.

5. How does the value of k relate to the fate of the universe in the FRW model?

The value of k plays a crucial role in determining the fate of the universe in the FRW model. As mentioned earlier, a positive value of k leads to a closed universe that will eventually collapse, while a negative value of k leads to an open universe that will continue to expand. A value of k equal to zero results in a flat universe with a slowing expansion but no eventual collapse or continued expansion.