FTC & Integral Homework: Find F''(2)

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the second derivative of F(x) given the equations for f(x). By using the relationship between F'(x) and f(x), and taking the derivative of f(x), it is possible to find F''(x). The conversation also mentions using the anti-derivative of f(x) to find F(x).
Sheneron

Homework Statement

[tex] F(x)= \int_1^x f(t)dt [/tex]

[tex] f(t)= \int_1^{t^2} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^4}}{u} du [/tex]

Find F''(2)

Homework Equations

Just learned the FTC part 1 and 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty lost on how to do this...

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write f(x) in terms of x: [tex]f(x) = \int^{x^2}_1 \frac{\sqrt{1+u^4}}{u} \ du [/tex]. Now what can you say, by the FTC, about how F'(x) is related to f(x)? And how is this related to what you can do with the expression for f(x) given above?

F'(x) = f(x) for all x in (1,x^2) ?

And for the other part I am not sure... f(x) would equal F(x^2) - F(1) where F is the the anti derivative.

You have F'(x) = f(x). You can see that F''(x) is f'(x), right? How would you get the latter from what you are given?

Take the derivative of f(x).

Alright I think understand. I will look over it some more. Thanks for your help.

1. What is FTC & Integral Homework?

FTC & Integral Homework refers to the application of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC) and the process of evaluating integrals in mathematics.

2. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC)?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a theorem that establishes a relationship between derivatives and integrals, stating that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding the antiderivative of its derivative. In simpler terms, it allows us to calculate the area under a curve by finding the function that created the curve.

3. How do I find F''(2) in FTC & Integral Homework?

To find F''(2), you must first find the derivative of the function F(x) and then evaluate it at the point x=2. This represents the second derivative of the function at that point.

4. What is the significance of F''(2) in FTC & Integral Homework?

F''(2) represents the rate of change of the slope of the function F(x) at the point x=2. This can provide information about the concavity of the function and the direction of the curve at that point.

5. Can I use FTC & Integral Homework in real-world applications?

Yes, FTC & Integral Homework has many real-world applications in areas such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities that are continuously changing. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.