Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fun stuff you get to do as a nuclear engineer?

1. Mar 25, 2007 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

what kind of fund stuff do you get to do as a nuclear engineer?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

One of the first steps was learning to spell his name... :tongue:

4. Mar 25, 2007 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

doh! And I can't edit titles here can I?

5. Mar 25, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But I can... :wink:

6. Mar 25, 2007 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

thanx kindly, Doc.

7. Mar 25, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

8. Mar 25, 2007 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I feel like we just had Astronuc's birthday party without him or something.

9. Mar 25, 2007 #8

Astronuc

:rofl: Mostly thermo-mechanical (numerical and highly non-linear) analysis of nuclear fuel under the normal steady-state and transient operating conditions, and not so normal conditions that hopefully will never happen except in special experiments. This requires the development of special models of the physical and mechanical properties of the materials of the fuel and its environment. Then one has to model the power/irradiation history with reasonable spatial resolution. We use special FEM and multiphysics models. We then simulate separate-effects and integrated experiments to verify and validate particular models and the integrated codes, and then we perform predictive analysis.

Similar work is done on core structures.

Way back when, in grad school, I did things like core/reactor design studies.

Then there are special areas in which I work, such as surveillance of fabrication processes and how they are applied to fuel and core components.

Then there is the really unusual stuff (design and analyses) with exotic nuclear systems like spacecraft propulsion systems (which is not in high demand these days :frown: ).

And various insundry.

And participate in PF. :biggrin:

10. Mar 25, 2007 #9
    He also does weddings and bar-mitzvahs.

Ba-dump-tish.

11. Mar 25, 2007 #10
    Whew! I thought something happened to him. Don't do that!

12. Mar 25, 2007 #11

Astronuc

:rofl: I thought something had happened to me too! :rofl: :biggrin:

Actually, I enjoy what I do, especially since two friends recently hired on, and there are four of us from the same grad program at the company.

I also do seminars and attend conferences. I used to travel to Europe twice a year and Japan/Asia at least once a year to give seminars on nuclear technology and related subjects. I hope to be doing more of that.

I also participate in a number of engineering and technical societies related to materials, energy and nuclear technology.

It keeps me busy.

Oh, and I need to find my replacement.

13. Mar 25, 2007 #12
    Hah, I was about to post a reply asking what you just answered- enjoyment. I am looking at school this fall and a physics career is one of my choices. The other being programming. Physics I think I would love... Programming I think I could handle.

14. Mar 25, 2007 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Is this in any way related to chaos theory in plasmas? SOC systems and what not?

15. Mar 25, 2007 #14

Astronuc

Well, it's not plasma. We like to keep our fuel solid and dimensionally stable, but there is bounded chaos in the sense that it is stochastic. This is particularly challenging when trying to define the technical limit(s) of operating fuel and then operating as close to the technical limit without failing.

I also get involved in why things fail when they were not expected to do so. So I have to know a little about methods of NDT and DT.

Or do both. There is a lot of numerical analysis in physics and engineering now, because we can't possible do experiments on all conceivable combinations of variables. So we build numerical models based on what limited experiments we can do, and then we try to predict/forecast what happens in a given situation. It's very satisfying to do a prediction beforehand and then have an experiment or actual situation do pretty much what the simulation predicted. :cool:

16. Mar 25, 2007 #15
    I like that! Now I actually have a direction to look into. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?