Function Analysis: Proving h'(y_s) < 0 for All y_s

In summary, the function h(y_s) = \ln (1-y_s) - \ln y_s - \gamma + \frac{\gamma}{\theta + \beta (1-y_s)} has an inequality that states that when z=1-y_s, the first term is always negative and the second term is largest when z \rightarrow 0.
standardflop
Hello,

given is the function [tex] h(y_s) = \ln (1-y_s) - \ln y_s - \gamma + \frac{\gamma}{\theta + \beta (1-y_s)} [/tex]
my job is now to show that [itex] h'(y_s) < 0, \forall y_s \in ]0,1[ [/itex] when
[tex] \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta (\beta + \theta)} < 4 [/tex]

I guess that all constants can be assumed to be real and positive.
My first tought was to introduce the new variable [itex] z=1-y_s [/itex] so that after differentiation i would get

[tex] - 1/z + 1/(z-1) + \frac{\gamma \beta}{(\theta + \beta z)^2} < 0[/tex]
but i can't derive the above expression from this inequality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since [itex]0< y_s< 1[/tex], then [itex]0< z< 1[/itex]
Adding the first two terms, what you have is
[tex]\frac{-1}{z(z-1)}+\frac{\gamma\beta}{(\theta+ \beta z)^2}[/tex]
Now what is the smallest that first term could be? What is the largest the second term could be? (Remember the condition that
[tex] \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta (\beta + \theta)} < 4 [/tex]).

The second term is largest when [itex]z \rightarrow 0[/itex], where it takes the values [tex]\frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta^2}[/tex]. But as i see it, the first term is a problem since it goes toward [itex] \pm \infty[/itex] (or undef.?) when [itex]z \rightarrow 0 \ \wedge \ z \rightarrow 1[/itex] respectively.? So can this term be bounded in the interval [itex] 0<z<1[/itex] ?

Also i believe your first term has the wrong sign.

Last edited:
Sorry about the sign. When I did it I was thinking 1/(1-z)- 1/z but then used your "reversed" z-1. Yes, it is
[tex]\frac{1}{z(z-1)}+\frac{\gamma\beta}{(\theta+ \beta z)^2}[/tex]
or, what I really intended,
[tex]\frac{-1}{z(1-z)}+\frac{\gamma\beta}{(\theta+ \beta z)^2}[/tex]
That first term, whether 1/(z(z-1)) or -1/(z(1-z)) is always negative. And when I said "smallest value", I should have made it clear that I was thinking of the absolute value because I was focusing on the subtraction- the largest possible value of the second term, minus the smallest possible value of the first is what?

The largest possible value of the second term, minus the (abs.) smallest possible value of the first is
[tex] \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta^2} - 4 < 0 [/tex] because [tex] \vline \ \max_{0<z<1} \ \frac{1}{z(z-1)} \ \vline = 4 [/tex]

which leads to [tex] \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta^2} < 4 [/tex] and not the expected [tex] \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta (\beta + \theta)} < 4 [/tex]

Last edited:
=> or is this to be understood as a less strict requirement, because [tex] \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta (\beta + \theta)} < \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta^2} [/tex] ? Therefore if [tex] \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta^2} < 4 [/tex] then also [tex] \frac{\gamma \beta}{\theta (\beta + \theta)} < 4 [/tex] ?

1. What is function analysis?

Function analysis is a branch of mathematics that involves studying the properties and behavior of mathematical functions. It involves using various methods and techniques to understand the behavior of functions and their relationships with other mathematical concepts.

2. What is the purpose of proving h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s?

The purpose of proving h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s is to show that the function h is decreasing for all values of y_s. This information is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems and determining the maximum or minimum values of a function.

3. How do you prove h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s?

There are various methods for proving that h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s. One common method is to use the definition of the derivative and show that the limit of the difference quotient is negative for all values of y_s. Another approach is to use the first or second derivative test to analyze the behavior of the function at different critical points.

4. What are the implications of h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s?

The implications of h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s depend on the context in which the function h is being used. In general, it means that the function is decreasing, which can provide valuable information about its behavior and help in solving various mathematical problems. It can also indicate the existence of a maximum value for the function.

5. Are there any exceptions to h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s?

There can be exceptions to h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s, depending on the nature of the function h. For example, if the function has a discontinuity or a sharp turn, the derivative may not exist at that point or may change sign. It is important to carefully analyze the behavior of the function and consider any special cases when proving h'(y_s) < 0 for all y_s.