1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function continuity in metric spaces

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex](X,d_X)[/tex] and [tex](Y,d_Y)[/tex] be metric spaces and let [tex]f: X \to Y[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Prove that the following statements are equivalent:

1. [tex]f[/tex] is continuous on [tex]X[/tex],
    2. [tex]\overline{f^{-1}(B)} \subseteq f^{-1}(\overline{B})[/tex] for all subsets [tex]B \subseteq Y[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I an prove that (1) leads to (2) but don't know how to show (2) leads to (1). Can you give me some hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    A function f: X -> Y between topological spaces is continuous if and only if the inverse image of every closed set in Y is a closed set in X.

Let F be an arbitrary closed set in Y. Then F = cl(F), where cl(F) is the closure of F. Now apply (2) with F in place of B.

4. Apr 21, 2010 #3
    Thanks, I didn't realize I should use this theorem and was trying to prove it using any point x and its neighborhood approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook