Function Continuity Proof in Real Analysis

In summary: Can you fill in the missing pieces?If ##f(c) < 0##, then ##c \in (a, b)##, so...?Can you fill in the missing pieces?If ##f(c) < 0##, then ##c \in (a, b)##, so if we let ##p = c##, then ##p## is between ##a## and ##c##, and within an interval at ##p##, ##f## is negative. How does this relate to ##f(c) = 0##, and why is this a contradiction?
NihalRi

Homework Statement

We've been given a set of hints to solve the problem below and I'm stuck on one of them

Let f:[a,b]->R , prove, using the hints below, that if f is continuous and if f(a) < 0 < f(b), then there exists a c ∈ (a,b) such that f(c) = 0

Hint
let set S = {x∈[a,b]:f(x)≤0}
let c = supS, show c∈[a,b]

Homework Equations

∀ε>0, ∃δ>0 such that ∀x∈(a,b), if |x-p| <δ then |f(x)-f(p)|<ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not gotten very far

want to show a<c<b
c≥x ∈[a,b]: f(x)≤0
a<x<b
want to show a<x≤c<b, so show c<b because as sup it's already bigger than x
f(a) ≤f(x)≤ 0 < f(b) ⇒ f(x)<f(b)

I can see it is true intuitively but I'm struggling with showing this properly. I would appreciate your help greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is actually easier than you thought to show that ##c\in[a,b]##:
Because for every ##x\in S## we have ##x\leq b## it follows that ##b ## is an upper bound of ##S##, and ##c## as the supremum of ##S## is less or equal than any other upper bound of ##S## (this is a direct consequence from the definition of supremum) so it is ##c\leq b##. Also easy to show that ##a\leq c##

Likes NihalRi
Delta2 said:
Because for every ##x\in S## we have ##x\leq b## it follows that ##b ## is an upper bound of ##S##, and ##c## as the supremum of ##S## is less or equal than any other upper bound of ##S## (this is a direct consequence from the definition of supremum) so it is ##c\leq b##. Also easy to show that ##a\leq c##

Thank you so much, Can't believe it was right there and I couldn't see it. So for showing a ≤ c from the set def we know that
a≤x≤b and as c in an upper bound it's
c ≥ x and by transitivity
a ≤ a

Now on to the rest of this problem :)

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:

I can't figure out the rest of it either

The hint says show f(c) = 0 by contradiction and consider two cases. Apply the fact that if f is continuous at 'a', ∃ an open interval I centered at 'a' such that f(x) >0for all x ∈ I. Explain why 'c' not equal to 'a' which will mean a<c. Then let 'p' be any point between 'a' and 'c' which is in the I. Relate p to set S and to c = supS to show a contradiction.

So assuming f(c) not equal to 0, one case is f(c) >0
clearly as f(a) < 0, f(c) not equal to f(a) and therefore a not equal to c meaning a < c
I took 'c' to be the 'a' in the italicized part above and that the interval is (c-δ,c+δ)
then I let p be any point such that a < p < c which itself in in (c-δ, c+δ) so,
c-δ < a < p < c < c+δ and f(p) > 0, so p ∉ S and all in this interval are > 0 so not in 'I'
but this implies that the only elements that can be in 'I' are from c+δ to b which makes c no longer an upperbound but a lowerbound which is a contradiction.
I do the same for case where f(c) < 0

This does not seen right to me because I don't understand the placement of the interval. I think I misinterpreted that part but not sure what it's supposed to be. Again, I would appreciate any help.

If we leave the formal definition of continuity to one side for now, can you see what is going on?

##f(a)## is strictly less than 0. By continuity, ##f## cannot 'jump' immediately to be positive for ##x > a##. Therefore, there must be an "interval" starting at ##a## on which ##f## is negative.

Similarly, we have an interval at ##b## on which ##f## is positive.

Now, we can turn our attention to ##c##, which is strictly between ##a## and ##b##.

If ##f(c) < 0##, then ...?

Can you see how to proceed?

Likes NihalRi
PeroK said:
If we leave the formal definition of continuity to one side for now, can you see what is going on?

##f(a)## is strictly less than 0. By continuity, ##f## cannot 'jump' immediately to be positive for ##x > a##. Therefore, there must be an "interval" starting at ##a## on which ##f## is negative.

Similarly, we have an interval at ##b## on which ##f## is positive.

Now, we can turn our attention to ##c##, which is strictly between ##a## and ##b##.

If ##f(c) < 0##, then ...?

Can you see how to proceed?

I see the logic of the first statements, here's my attempt
There is also a possibility that there are several c's for which f(c) = 0 correct? But we are trying to show if there is at least one.

If ##f(c) < 0##, then it's in an interval (a,c]
I am thinking this is where p comes in and there is an open interval around any p with f(p)<0
sorry if I'm still approaching this all wrong

NihalRi said:
I see the logic of the first statements, here's my attempt
There is also a possibility that there are several c's for which f(c) = 0 correct? But we are trying to show if there is at least one.

If ##f(c) < 0##, then it's in an interval (a,c]
I am thinking this is where p comes in and there is an open interval around any p with f(p)<0
sorry if I'm still approaching this all wrong

What's ##p##?

##c = sup \{x \in [a, b]: f(x) \le 0 \}##

So, there is only one ##c##.

There could be any number of points where ##f(x) = 0##. But, that's not the issue. The issue is to show that ##f(c) = 0##.

Likes NihalRi
PeroK said:
What's ##p##?

So, there is only one ##c##.

There could be any number of points where ##f(x) = 0##. But, that's not the issue. The issue is to show that ##f(c) = 0##.

f(c) < 0
c ∈ [a, b] a≤c≤b
a≤x≤b
c ≥ x
x≤c≤b

f(b)>0
b∉S

Intuitively it makes so much sense and I feel really close but it hasn't clicked yet

NihalRi said:
f(c) < 0
c ∈ [a, b] a≤c≤b
a≤x≤b
c ≥ x
x≤c≤b

f(b)>0
b∉S

Intuitively it makes so much sense and I feel really close but it hasn't clicked yet

I can't make any sense of those steps. You could try the following problem:

Let ##f## be continuous on ##(a, b)##. Let ##c \in (a, b)## with ##f(c) > 0##.

Show that there exists an open interval ##I \subset (a, b)##, with ##c \in I## and:

##x \in I \ \Rightarrow \ f(x) > 0##

That result is a fundamental building block of the proof required for your problem here and many others. If you are stuck on the bigger problem, try this one, which is an important component of the proof you need.

Likes NihalRi

What is function continuity?

Function continuity is a property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, as the input values get closer together, the output values also get closer together.

What is a function continuity proof?

A function continuity proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that a function is continuous. This involves showing that the function satisfies the definition of continuity, which states that for any input value, the limit of the function as the input approaches that value is equal to the function value at that point.

What are the steps involved in a function continuity proof?

The first step in a function continuity proof is to state the definition of continuity. Then, we use algebraic manipulations and the properties of limits to simplify the function and evaluate the limit. Finally, we show that the limit is equal to the function value at the input point, thereby proving continuity.

What are some common techniques used in function continuity proofs?

Some common techniques used in function continuity proofs include the epsilon-delta method, the squeeze theorem, and the intermediate value theorem. These techniques involve using the definition of continuity and properties of limits to manipulate the function and evaluate the limit.

Why is function continuity important in real analysis?

Function continuity is important in real analysis because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to prove theorems and solve problems in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.