Function for the Thrust of a Ducted Fan

In summary, the speaker is seeking guidance on designing a ducted fan that can generate 800 N of thrust. They are proficient in math but unsure of where to begin with calculating thrust for a ducted fan. They are looking for an equation that takes into account variables such as propeller radius, RPM, angle of attack, number of blades, and duct width. They also express interest in knowing the necessary engine power for such a turbine. The speaker recommends referencing information and calculations from websites such as Wikipedia and Axial fan design.
Blanchdog
TL;DR Summary
Trying to come up with an equation for the thrust of a ducted fan in terms of fan radius, rpm, angle of attack, width between rotor and duct, and any other relative variables.
I'd like to design a ducted fan capable of generating 800 N of thrust. Though I can do fairly high level math, I just really don't even know where to start in calculating (or at least relatively accurately estimating the thrust generated by a propeller, particularly a ducted one (as I understand it ducted fans produce a greater amount of thrust if made correctly).

So I need an equation for thrust as a function of the radius of the prop, rpm, angle of attack of the propeller, number of blades, width between the prop and the duct, and any other relative variables. Angle of attack is a bit over simplified for a geometrically complex surface like a turbine blade, so if there's some optimal geometry then a number representing that is just fine.

As a secondary interest, I'd like to know the power of the engine necessary to drive such a turbine.

Any help/instruction is appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is the function of the thrust of a ducted fan?

The thrust of a ducted fan is the force that propels an aircraft or other vehicle forward. It is generated by the rotation of the fan blades, which creates a difference in pressure between the front and back of the fan.

How is the thrust of a ducted fan calculated?

The thrust of a ducted fan can be calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of air through the fan by the difference in velocity between the air entering and exiting the fan.

What factors affect the thrust of a ducted fan?

The thrust of a ducted fan is affected by several factors, including the design and shape of the fan blades, the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the duct, and the density of the air. Changes in any of these factors can impact the overall thrust generated by the fan.

What is the difference between axial and centrifugal ducted fans?

Axial ducted fans have blades that rotate around an axis parallel to the direction of airflow, while centrifugal ducted fans have blades that rotate around an axis perpendicular to the direction of airflow. This difference in blade orientation affects the direction and distribution of the thrust produced by the fan.

What are some applications of ducted fans?

Ducted fans have a wide range of applications, including use in aircraft propulsion, ventilation systems, and cooling systems for electronics. They are also commonly used in drones and other small unmanned aerial vehicles.