1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function manipulation involving trigonometry

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to integrate a function in a classical physics problem but when I apply the limits it gave undefined results. Hence, I looked up that particular part of the solution and I did not fathom the function manipulation. It states that if x≤b in the following expression:

∫{[x/b]/[1-(x/b)]}1/2 d(x/b)

then x/b=sin2θ

is this statement true?

If so, how can this be?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think it is saying that if x≤b then it is valid to make that variable change. But in fact you need 0≤x/b≤1.

4. Apr 29, 2015 #3
    Hi shanepitts ,
    You make make any substitution you like but, people often go through changing variable in order to make things simple, if you pose x/b = sin^2, things will become horribly complicated (at least for me) so what i suggest is making a simpler substitution, what do you think of u =sqrt(x/b) ;) ?

5. Apr 29, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not for me. Comes out quite simply. But this wasn't the point of the OP anyway, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted