Function manipulation involving trigonometry

In summary, the conversation is about integrating a function in a classical physics problem, but the limits gave undefined results. The solution suggests making a variable change, specifically if x≤b, then x/b=sin2θ. The validity of this statement is questioned, and a simpler substitution is suggested. One participant believes that using x/b=sin^2 will make things complicated, while another believes it is simple.
shanepitts
I'm trying to integrate a function in a classical physics problem but when I apply the limits it gave undefined results. Hence, I looked up that particular part of the solution and I did not fathom the function manipulation. It states that if x≤b in the following expression:

∫{[x/b]/[1-(x/b)]}1/2 d(x/b)

then x/b=sin2θ

is this statement true?

If so, how can this be?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is saying that if x≤b then it is valid to make that variable change. But in fact you need 0≤x/b≤1.

Likes shanepitts
Hi shanepitts ,
You make make any substitution you like but, people often go through changing variable in order to make things simple, if you pose x/b = sin^2, things will become horribly complicated (at least for me) so what i suggest is making a simpler substitution, what do you think of u =sqrt(x/b) ;) ?

Likes shanepitts
Noctisdark said:
if you pose x/b = sin^2, things will become horribly complicated (at least for me)
Not for me. Comes out quite simply. But this wasn't the point of the OP anyway, I think.

Likes shanepitts

1. What is function manipulation involving trigonometry?

Function manipulation involving trigonometry refers to the process of changing or transforming a trigonometric function in order to solve equations, graph functions, or simplify expressions.

2. How do you manipulate trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions can be manipulated by using identities, properties, and rules specific to trigonometry. These include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference formulas, double angle formulas, and half angle formulas.

3. What is the purpose of manipulating trigonometric functions?

The purpose of manipulating trigonometric functions is to make them easier to work with and to solve problems involving angles, triangles, and periodic functions. It also helps to simplify expressions and equations involving trigonometric functions.

4. What are some common techniques used in function manipulation involving trigonometry?

Some common techniques used in function manipulation involving trigonometry include substitution, factoring, simplification using identities, and solving for unknown variables using inverse trigonometric functions.

5. What are some real-life applications of function manipulation involving trigonometry?

Function manipulation involving trigonometry has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, navigation, and astronomy. It is used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, light waves, and electrical currents.