Deriving the Relationship Between Speed and Distance

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the equation (dV(x)/dx)(dx/dt) = d(V^2(x)/2)/dx is true because V is defined as dx/dt and the derivative of V^2(x)/2 is equal to (dV(x)/dx)V(x). This can also be written as (dV(x))/dx)(dx/dt)= d(V^2(x)/2)/dt. Additionally, the antiderivative of F(x) can be shown to be V^2(x)/2 by proving that d(V^2(x)/2)/dx = F(x).
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Why does:
(dV(x)/dx)(dx/dt) = d(V^2(x)/2)/dx ? (V(x) is speed as a function of distance?
I know that the derivative of V^2(x)/2 if (dV(x)/dx)V(x) but I don't think that V(x) equals (dx/dt), that equal V(t)?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you wrote the equation down correctly? It should be d(V^2(x)/2)/dt on the RHS shouldn't it?

daniel_i_l said:
Why does:
(dV(x)/dx)(dx/dt) = d(V^2(x)/2)/dx ? (V(x) is speed as a function of distance?
I know that the derivative of V^2(x)/2 if (dV(x)/dx)V(x) but I don't think that V(x) equals (dx/dt), that equal V(t)?
Thanks in advance!

V is, by definition, dx/dt.

Yes, if you know V(x), and x as a function of t, you could write V as a function of t: V(t) but it would still be V.

And, as siddharth said, that should be (dV(x))/dx)(dx/dt)= d(V^2(x)/2)/dt

Thanks.
I know that a(x) = F(x) and I have to prove that V^2(x)/2 is the antiderivative of F(x).
That would mean that I have to prove that:
d(V^2(x)/2)/dx = F(x) right?

So if I know that F(x) = dV(X)/dt = dV(X)/dx * dx/dt
How do I prove that d(V^2(x)/2)/dx = F(x)?

1. What is the function of distance problem?

The function of distance problem refers to a mathematical equation or model used to calculate the relationship between distance and other variables, such as time or speed. It is commonly used in physics and other sciences to understand the motion of objects and their position in space.

2. How is the function of distance problem solved?

The function of distance problem is typically solved by using the equation d = rt, where d represents distance, r represents rate or speed, and t represents time. By plugging in known values for two of these variables, the third can be calculated. Alternatively, a graph or table can be used to solve for the function of distance problem.

3. What are some real-world applications of the function of distance problem?

The function of distance problem has many real-world applications, including calculating the time it takes for a car to travel a certain distance, determining the distance traveled by a runner in a given amount of time, and predicting the location of a projectile as it moves through the air.

4. Are there any limitations to the function of distance problem?

Like any mathematical model, the function of distance problem has its limitations. It assumes that the rate of an object's motion is constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account external factors that may affect the motion of an object, such as air resistance or friction.

5. Can the function of distance problem be applied to non-linear motion?

In its basic form, the function of distance problem is designed for linear motion, where an object moves in a straight line at a constant speed. However, it can be adapted for non-linear motion by using more complex equations and models, such as those used in calculus and physics.