Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function required to be integral - (measure theory?)

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1

Some time ago one of my professors told us about a remarkable theorem, which stated something along the lines of: if a function i takes two arguments, one being another function f, and the other being some region R on which the function f is defined, and this function i satisfies some particular properties (such as linearity in f, if disjoint regions st R1 U R2 = R then i(f, R1) + i(f, R2) = i(f, R), etc) which are similar to the integral, then the function i _must_ be the integral of f.

I later asked him again, and he said it was a basic result in measure theory (which he did not pursue further since it was not a measure theory class). However I have been unable to find this theorem again, partly because I never was quite sure of the exact properties the theorem requires, and also because I never pursued more measure theory. I would really appreciate it if someone could recognize this theorem and either point me to a source, clarify the conditions, or even just tell me what it's called.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, if a functional has the properties that it is linear in f, "additive", "translation invarient", and such that if f(x)= 1 for x in R then the functional returns the area of R, it must be the integral.

Check out

or goggle on '"Lebesgue measure" uniqueness'
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?