Function Spaces C^k: Understanding Facts

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between the notations "function space" and "Differentiation Class", with the conclusion that a function space is a more general concept. The definition of ##C^k## was also clarified and it was mentioned that there is a notation ##C^{-1}##, but its exact definition is unclear. A possible definition was proposed, but without a reference. The conversation concluded with the statement that this notation is not very important.
Bachelier
Could you check my understanding of these facts please:

First is there a difference between the notations "function space" and "Differentiation Class" ? Methinks they are one.

Second, a function ##f## is said to be in ##C^k \iff \ f^{(k)}## exists and is in ##C^0##.

Third, if a function has discontinuities then it belong to ##C^{-1}##

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelier said:
Could you check my understanding of these facts please:

First is there a difference between the notations "function space" and "Differentiation Class" ? Methinks they are one.

A function space is something more general. The spaces ##C^k##are certainly function spaces, but there are many more.

Second, a function ##f## is said to be in ##C^k \iff \ f^{(k)}## exists and is in ##C^0##.

Yes.

Third, if a function has discontinuities then it belong to ##C^{-1}##

I have encountered ##C^{-1}## before, but I forgot what it was. I kind of doubt that it is standard terminology anyway. Do you have a reference for this?

micromass said:
I have encountered ##C^{-1}## before, but I forgot what it was. I kind of doubt that it is standard terminology anyway. Do you have a reference for this?

Unfortunately I can only quote the "Wikipedia" page on "Smooth Functions". I tried to do a google search for the term to no avail.

Bachelier said:
Unfortunately I can only quote the "Wikipedia" page on "Smooth Functions". I tried to do a google search for the term to no avail.

The way I've seen it defined is that ##C^{-1}## has functions that are piecewise continuous. So they have discontinuities, but only a limited number. But I don't have a reference either. It's not very important anyway.

for your question. I am happy to check your understanding of these facts about function spaces C^k.

1. The terms "function space" and "differentiation class" are often used interchangeably in mathematics. Both refer to a collection of functions that share certain properties, such as being continuous or differentiable. So, yes, they can be considered as the same concept.

2. Your understanding of the second fact is correct. A function f is said to be in the function space C^k if and only if its kth derivative exists and is continuous (in other words, in the function space C^0). This means that the function is differentiable k times and all of its derivatives up to the kth order are continuous.

3. Your understanding of the third fact is also correct. If a function has discontinuities, it belongs to the function space C^{-1}. This means that the function is not differentiable, but its antiderivative (primitive) is continuous. In other words, the function has a discontinuity in its derivative, but its integral is still continuous.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of these facts about function spaces C^k. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Function Spaces C^k: Understanding Facts

1. What is a function space C^k?

A function space C^k is a set of all functions that have continuous derivatives up to the order k. This means that the functions in this space have k continuous derivatives, making them smooth and well-behaved.

2. How is the smoothness of a function measured in C^k?

The smoothness of a function in C^k is measured by the number of continuous derivatives it has. For example, a function in C^2 has two continuous derivatives, while a function in C^3 has three continuous derivatives.

3. What is the role of C^k in mathematical analysis?

C^k function spaces are important in mathematical analysis because they allow for the study of smooth functions and their behavior. They are often used in differential equations, optimization problems, and other areas of mathematics.

4. What are the key properties of C^k function spaces?

The key properties of C^k function spaces include closure under addition, scalar multiplication, and composition. They are also Banach spaces, meaning that they are complete and have a norm defined on them.

5. How is C^k different from other function spaces?

C^k differs from other function spaces, such as C^∞ (space of infinitely differentiable functions) and C^0 (space of continuous functions), in terms of the smoothness of the functions it contains. C^k functions have a finite number of continuous derivatives, while C^∞ functions have infinite continuous derivatives and C^0 functions have no restrictions on their derivatives.