1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional Equation?

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    Hi All,

I am asked to produce a function such that, literally, increasing the indipendent variable by lambda will produce an increase in the function of a*lambda.

I thought about setting up an equation as follows

y(lambda*x)=a*lambda*y(x)

In general a simple solution of the functional equation y(ax)-by(x)=0 is y = Kx^(ln(a)/ln(b)). C is arbitrary

Using this solution scheme I am unable to obtain solutions independent upon lambda.

Is the task well posed at all?

Thank you very much

Muzialis

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have formulated it as:

Find y such that y(x + λ) = y(x) + aλ.

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3
    EnumaElish,

thanks for the hint.

Your set up is coherent with my description.
    However I have been imprecise, the increase is specified in the task as a multiplicative factor, so my set up is the one actually that needs solving.

I am pretty sure the task was badly posed though as I do not see how a solution could exist.

But then, that is why I posted the issue.

Thanks and all the best

Muzialis

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could it mean y((1+λ)x) = (1+aλ)y(x)?

With y(λx) = aλy(x), assume (trivially) λ = 1. Then y(x) = ay(x), which is a contradiction except for a = 1. In this formulation λ has to be > 1.

6. Jun 18, 2009 #5
    EnumaElish,

I appreciate your ad absurdum reasoning. But can you find any solution for lambda > 1?

I am sure the task was badly posed. The fact is it was proposed to me by a working partner whose maths is usually very precise, so I wanted to be extra sure I was not stating nonsense.

It has been later clarified that all it was needed was a function with a derivative of lambda, locally in a point of interest.

I am curious now tough, if the set up I originally proposed has any solution at all, although I fear not.

Thank you very much

Best Regards

Muzialis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook