Functions [f(x)] and substituton

• Thread starter Tekee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: But you're original function was x^2-2x so replacing x with x+h you should have (x+h)^2-2(x+h). Can you expand this? You are off by a sign somewhere in your post, do you see where?i remember our first test ... lots of ppl did bad b/c of this conceptthey sure were happy when they learned how to take the derivative :)
Tekee

Homework Statement

Evaluate and simpliy [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h if f(x) = x^2 -2x

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I just plugged in f(x), or x^2 - 2x for f(X+h) and f(x) and burned it down to h/h, or 1.
That sounds too easy, though...want to know if it's correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should show your work. If f(x)=x^2-2x, then what is f(x+h)?

if f(x) = 2x + 1
then f(x+h) = 2(x+h) + 1

cristo said:
You should show your work. If f(x)=x^2-2x, then what is f(x+h)?

Would it simply be x^2 - 2x + h?
(That may be where the problem is...I'm not too sure on that)

If so, I just did:

x^2 - 2x + h - x^2 + 2x --> h ---numerator
h --- denominator

h/h = 1?

EDIT - I see what you did...(rocophysics)
Thanks! I'll try it out.

Last edited:
No, it wouldn't. The variable in f(x) is x, whereas the variable in f(x+h) is (x+h): i.e. you need to write (x+h) in place of x in the original function.

If f(x) = x^2+2x then what would say f(3) be? f(3)=(3)^2+2(3) right? So what is f(x+h)?

If f(x) = x^2, then f(x+h) = (x+h)^2 = x^2 + 2xh + h^2

Feldoh said:
If f(x) = x^2+2x then what would say f(3) be? f(3)=(3)^2+2(3) right? So what is f(x+h)?

Right...so f(x+h) is:

(x+h)^2 - 2x + 2h
I foiled out everything, and I think I'm good to go :)
Thanks for the help!

Tekee said:
Right...so f(x+h) is:

(x+h)^2 - 2x + 2h
Thanks for the help!

f(x) = 2(x)
f(3) = 2(3)
f(x+h) = 2(?)

Other then that (x+h)^2 looks right. :)

All f(x+h) means is go to the function and every where you see an "x" replace it with "x+h"

better learn this good! you'll encounter it around the ~2nd chapter of your Calculus book.

rocophysics said:
better learn this good! you'll encounter it around the ~2nd chapter of your Calculus book.

^^He's got a point [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h will be revisited -- A LOT

Tekee said:
Right...so f(x+h) is:

(x+h)^2 - 2x + 2h
Thanks for the help!

But you're original function was x^2-2x so replacing x with x+h you should have
(x+h)^2-2(x+h). Can you expand this? You are off by a sign somewhere in your post, do you see where?

i remember our first test ... lots of ppl did bad b/c of this concept

they sure were happy when they learned how to take the derivative :)

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two quantities, where one quantity is dependent on the other. In other words, the value of one quantity is determined by the value of the other quantity.

2. What does f(x) mean?

f(x) is a notation used to represent a function. The letter "f" is the name of the function, and the variable "x" is the input or independent variable of the function. It is read as "f of x" or "the value of the function at x".

3. How do you evaluate a function?

To evaluate a function, you simply substitute the given value for the input variable in the function and solve for the output or dependent variable. For example, if we have the function f(x) = 2x + 3 and we want to find the value of f(5), we would substitute 5 for x and get f(5) = 2(5) + 3 = 13.

4. What is the difference between a function and an equation?

A function is a relationship between two quantities, while an equation is a statement that shows the equality of two expressions. A function can be represented by an equation, but an equation may not always represent a function. In a function, there is only one output for each input, while in an equation, there can be multiple solutions.

5. How do you find the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values that the function can accept. To find the domain, you should look for any restrictions on the input variable, such as square roots or denominators, and determine the set of values that make the function defined. The range of a function is the set of all possible output values. To find the range, you should evaluate the function for different input values and determine the set of resulting output values.