1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions of Several Variables

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    My question is mostly down to staggering ignorance of basic notation. I have been unable to find a straightforward answer anywhere - so I assume it must be pretty basic.

I have a function: [tex]f(x,y)=x^3+y^3-3x-12y+20[/tex]

Given that I know a value of x, ie [tex]x=-1[/tex], how do I extract a value of y using this notation?

I know when [tex]f(x)=x^2[/tex] I can use substitute [tex]f(x)[/tex] with [tex]y[/tex], but I find myself stuck with what to substitute [tex]f(x,y)[/tex] with...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In order to evaluate your f(x, y), you need two numbers. What you get out isn't a y value; it's a z value. To graph the function, you need three dimensions. If you know a z value and an x value, there's the possibility that you can solve for the value you don't know: y. For example, if you know that f(x, y) = 10 and that x = 1, you might be able to solve the equation 10 = 1^3 + y^3 -3(1) - 12y + 20 to get y.

Does that make sense?

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3
    Yes, it actually does. Thank you Mark.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook