Calculating Fundamental Frequency and Overtone Frequency of a Stretched Wire

In summary, a flexible wire with a length of 80 cm and a mass of 0.40g is stretched across stops on a sonometer that are 50 cm apart by a force of 500N. Using the equation f=\frac{1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\frac{m}{L}}}, the fundamental frequency of the wire can be found. However, it is unclear which length should be used in the equation, as there are two L's mentioned in the problem.
i'mcheche

Homework Statement

a flexible wire is 80 cm long has a mass of 0.40g. It is stretched across stops on a sonometer that are 50 cm apart by a force of 500N. Find the fundamental frequency with which the wire may vibrate. If it vibrates in 2 third overtone, what is it's frequency?

Homework Equations

[tex]f=\frac{1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\frac{m}{L}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't kno where to start. I substituted all the given data. And I'm not really sure about my answer.

I can't decide what length should be used in the equation. the problem states the total length of the wire and the length of the wire which is streched on the sonometer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to PF :smile:

it is said that the sonometer stops are 50cm apart.So that should me the length. :smile:

There are two L's in the equation. Are they necessarily the same?

What is fundamental frequency?

Fundamental frequency, also known as the first harmonic, is the lowest frequency of a periodic waveform. It is the frequency at which an object or system naturally vibrates and is responsible for the perceived pitch of a sound.

How is fundamental frequency measured?

Fundamental frequency is typically measured in Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second. It can be measured using various instruments such as an oscilloscope or a frequency counter.

What factors affect the fundamental frequency?

The fundamental frequency of a sound is affected by the physical properties of the object or system producing the sound. This includes the size, shape, and material of the object, as well as the tension or stiffness of the system.

Why is fundamental frequency important?

Fundamental frequency is important because it is the basis for all other frequencies and harmonics in a sound. It is also used in music to determine the key or tonality of a piece.

How is fundamental frequency used in communication and technology?

Fundamental frequency is used in communication and technology to distinguish between different sounds and to analyze speech and music. It is also used in signal processing to filter out unwanted frequencies and enhance the quality of sound.