1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Period (graph)

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The elements of f(t) are 1+kt and t here are 0<t<1
    the other element is 1 and t here are 1<t<2.

f(t+2)=f(t)

prove if k is not equal to zero, the period f is 2.

i know the graph of element 1 but how should I graph the other element with k.
    Based from the graph, the period is 2.

How should I prove that using mathematical statement?

2. Relevant equations

The problem is all about fundamental period

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean "elements of f(t)"?
    I don't have any idea of what you saying here:
    Are you saying that f(t) = 1 + kt, if 0 < t < 1, and f(t) = 1, if 1 < t < 2?
    Is f(t + 2) = f(t) given, or is that what you're trying to prove?

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    thats what i am saying. f(t+2) =f(t) is given. what im trying to prove is that if k is not equal to zero, the period f is 2.
    how i should i plot the 1+kt?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

Mark44

Well, you don't know k, other than it isn't zero, so you have a line segment with pos. slope if k > 0, and neg. slope if k < 0. It doesn't really matter whether it slopes up or down, just so long as the line isn't horizontal.

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5
    ok so how I prove by mathematical statement that the period f is 2? can this be
    or it can only be proved by graph?

7. Nov 17, 2009 #6

Mark44

A function is periodic with period p iff f(x + p) = f(x) for all x. (See the definition on this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_function.)

So the information that you tell me is given would seem to do the trick except when k = 0. In that case, f(x) = 1 at most points, which would imply that the period was smaller than 2. I say "at most points" because from the information in your post, f(x) is not defined at x = 0, x = 1, and x = 2.

Are you sure you have posted the problem exactly the way it reads? It bothers me that f isn't defined at 0, 1, and 2, and it also bothers me that you are given that f(t + 2) = f(t), since that's essentially what you need to prove.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook