Fundamental solution for unbounded solution

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fundamental
In summary, the problem is to find the fundamental solution to the unbounded problem with the given DE and Dirac delta function as the right-hand-side. Variation of parameters is not applicable in this case. It is suggested to set v(t) = u'(t) and solve the DE t v'(t) - v(t) = delta(t). It may be helpful to change the right-hand-side to delta(t-t0) and then take the limit as t0 approaches 0. The Laplace transform method would not work well in this case due to the term t u''(t) in the DE.
member 428835

Homework Statement

Find the fundamental solution to the unbounded problem $$t u''(t) - u'(t) = \delta_0.$$

Homework Equations

Variation of parameters.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to use variation of parameters on this since it's an unbounded problem, so I'm not even trying to use it. The homogenous solution is ##u_h = c_1 t^2 + c_2##. So I'm thinking the fundamental solution should look something like
$$u =
\left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
c_1 t^2 + c_2 & t\leq 0 \\
c_3 t^2 + c_2 & t>0
\end{array}
\right.
$$
where I make both constant terms ##c_2## to ensure continuity at ##t=0##. But now I'm really not sure, is this even right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

Find the fundamental solution to the unbounded problem $$t u''(t) - u'(t) = \delta_0.$$

Homework Equations

Variation of parameters.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to use variation of parameters on this since it's an unbounded problem, so I'm not even trying to use it. The homogenous solution is ##u_h = c_1 t + c_2##. So I'm thinking the fundamental solution should look something like
$$u =
\left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
c_1 t + c_2 & t\leq 0 \\
c_3 t + c_2 & t>0
\end{array}
\right.
$$
where I make both constant terms ##c_2## to ensure continuity at ##t=0##. But now I'm really not sure, is this even right?

Is ##\delta_0## a constant, of do you really mean ##\delta(t)?##

Your fundamental solutions are missing some important terms.

Ray Vickson said:
Is ##\delta_0## a constant, of do you really mean ##\delta(t)?##

Your fundamental solutions are missing some important terms.
Sorry, it's the dirac delta function, so ##\delta(t)##. Yea what should I add?

joshmccraney said:
Sorry, it's the dirac delta function, so ##\delta(t)##. Yea what should I add?

When I try to substitute your ##u_h(t)## into the (homogeneous) DE, it does not work.

PF rules forbid me from telling you the solution, but I can tell you how I would look for it if I were doing the problem.

I would set ##v(t) = u'(t)## and then solve the de ##t v'(t) - v(t) = \delta(t).## From there, ##u(t) = \int v(t) \, dt.##

BTW: there seem to be serious problems if your right-hand-side is ##\delta(t)## exactly; I think it would be better to use ##\delta(t-t_0)##, then see if there is a sensible limit of the solution when you try to take ##t_0 \to 0.## Alternatively, you could take the de to be ##(t-t_0) u''(t) - u'(t) = \delta(t),## then look at what happens to the solution as ##t_0 \to 0.##

I've never studied differential equation with a Dirac delta function, but I have encountered them several times in my studies. In the books I read authors usually change the delta into a "source condition", that is they change the equation into something like this:
$$t u'' - u' = 0$$
with ##\lim_{t \rightarrow 0} u(t) = 1##. Is this wrong ? I am asking because I'm interested and I do not know if I remember it correctly.

PS: BTW shouldn't it be easier to use Fourier or Laplace transform ?

Ray Vickson said:
When I try to substitute your ##u_h(t)## into the (homogeneous) DE, it does not work.

PF rules forbid me from telling you the solution, but I can tell you how I would look for it if I were doing the problem.

I would set ##v(t) = u'(t)## and then solve the de ##t v'(t) - v(t) = \delta(t).## From there, ##u(t) = \int v(t) \, dt.##

BTW: there seem to be serious problems if your right-hand-side is ##\delta(t)## exactly; I think it would be better to use ##\delta(t-t_0)##, then see if there is a sensible limit of the solution when you try to take ##t_0 \to 0.## Alternatively, you could take the de to be ##(t-t_0) u''(t) - u'(t) = \delta(t),## then look at what happens to the solution as ##t_0 \to 0.##
Sorry, I forgot to square it! I had it written on paper but forgot to type it. I edited my first post to reflect the change.

You say there are serious problems: can you elaborate? Are you using variation of parameters to solve, or something else?

joshmccraney said:
Sorry, I forgot to square it! I had it written on paper but forgot to type it. I edited my first post to reflect the change.

You say there are serious problems: can you elaborate? Are you using variation of parameters to solve, or something else?

I have already suggested how you should proceed: solve the problem with the right-hand-side changed to ##\delta(t-t_0), \: t_0 \neq 0## then try to see what happens when you attempt to take ##t_0 \to 0.##

dRic2 said:
I've never studied differential equation with a Dirac delta function, but I have encountered them several times in my studies. In the books I read authors usually change the delta into a "source condition", that is they change the equation into something like this:
$$t u'' - u' = 0$$
with ##\lim_{t \rightarrow 0} u(t) = 1##. Is this wrong ? I am asking because I'm interested and I do not know if I remember it correctly.

PS: BTW shouldn't it be easier to use Fourier or Laplace transform ?

If the DE has constant coefficients then the Laplace transform method would work well. However, this problem has a term ##t u''(t)## in it, and gettimg the Laplace transform of that would not be easy. I think you would end up needing to solve and integral equation to determine the Laplace transform (because the transform of ##t u''(t)## would be the convolution of the transforms of ##t## and ##u''(t)##).

Likes dRic2
Ray Vickson said:
If the DE has constant coefficients then the Laplace transform method would work well. However, this problem has a term ##t u''(t)## in it, and gettimg the Laplace transform of that would not be easy. I think you would end up needing to solve and integral equation to determine the Laplace transform (because the transform of ##t u''(t)## would be the convolution of the transforms of ##t## and ##u''(t)##).
What about the first part of my post: is it correct? Or am I completely wrong ?

dRic2 said:
What about the first part of my post: is it correct? Or am I completely wrong ?

Perhaps wrong, but the question was not specific enough for me to really be sure. Try actually doing what you suggest and then see how it works out.

Ray Vickson said:
I have already suggested how you should proceed: solve the problem with the right-hand-side changed to ##\delta(t-t_0), \: t_0 \neq 0## then try to see what happens when you attempt to take ##t_0 \to 0.##

I don't know how to solve because the problem is unbounded. For me, I'm at the same spot if the RHS was ##\delta(t)## or ##\delta(t-t_0)##. Can you give me an idea for direction?

Typically I would use BCs at left and right endpoints and construct the Green's function via variation of parameters. But I can't do this since I don't know how to handle the unbounded nature of the problem.

joshmccraney said:
I don't know how to solve because the problem is unbounded. For me, I'm at the same spot if the RHS was ##\delta(t)## or ##\delta(t-t_0)##. Can you give me an idea for direction?

Typically I would use BCs at left and right endpoints and construct the Green's function via variation of parameters. But I can't do this since I don't know how to handle the unbounded nature of the problem.

Here is how I was taught this stuff back in the Stone Age.

Let us take the DE to be ##t u''(t) - u'(t) = \delta(t-a), \; a \neq 0.##

We want a particular solution ##u_p(t).## Furthermore, let's require that ##u_p(t)## be continuous at ##t=a## and that ##u'_p(t)## remain finite in a neighborhood of ##t=a.## Then, we must have
$$\begin{array}{rcr}
u_p(a+) - u_p(a-) & =0& \hspace{3ex}(1) \\
a[u'_p(a+) - u'_p(a-)]& = 1& \hspace{3ex}(2)
\end{array}$$ The first condition is just continuity of ##u_p(t)## at ##t=a##, while the second one is a jump condition on ##u_p'(t)## at ##t=a##:
$$\lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \int_{a-\epsilon}^{a+\epsilon} t u_p''(t) \, dt = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \int_{a-\epsilon}^{a+\epsilon} \delta(t-a) \, dt = 1$$ where we use the fact that the other terms ##\int_{a-\epsilon}^{a+\epsilon} u_p'(t)(t) \, dt \to 0## as ##\epsilon \to 0## because of finiteness of ##u'_p(t).##

If we write
$$u_p(t) = \begin{cases} b_1 + c_1 t^2 , & t < a\\
b_2 + c_2 t^2 , & t \geq a
\end{cases}$$
then conditions (1) and (2) give
$$\begin{array}{ccr}
b_1+c_1 a^2 - b_2 - c_2 a^2 &=0& \hspace{3ex}(1a) \\
2 a^2 c_2 - 2 a^2 c_1 &=1 & \hspace{3ex}(2a)
\end{array}$$
We can place two additional restrictions on the ##b_i, c_i## in order to get a unique solution. For example, we could take ##b_1 = 0, c_1 = 0##.

We can get a general ##u(t)## by adding the one-piece homogeneous solution ##b+c t^2## onto this specific ##u_p(t).##

Now we can see what would go wrong if we try taking ##a=0##: the jump condition would be ##0 [u_p'(0+) - u_p'(0-)] = 1, ## which is not possible if both ##u_p'(0\, \pm)## are finite.

Last edited:

1. What is a fundamental solution for an unbounded solution?

A fundamental solution for an unbounded solution is a mathematical function that satisfies a particular differential equation and has the property that its integral over any unbounded domain is finite. It is used to find a particular solution to a differential equation in unbounded domains.

2. How is a fundamental solution different from a general solution?

A fundamental solution is a particular solution to a differential equation that satisfies a specific set of conditions, while a general solution is a family of solutions that satisfies the same differential equation but with different values for the arbitrary constants. A fundamental solution is often used to find a specific solution from the general solution.

3. Can a fundamental solution be used for any type of differential equation?

No, a fundamental solution is specific to a particular type of differential equation, such as linear or non-linear equations. It is important to determine the type of differential equation before using a fundamental solution to find a particular solution.

4. How is a fundamental solution related to boundary conditions?

A fundamental solution is often used to find a particular solution that satisfies a set of boundary conditions. The boundary conditions help determine the values of the arbitrary constants in the general solution, which can then be used to find a specific solution using the fundamental solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using a fundamental solution?

Yes, a fundamental solution can only be used for certain types of differential equations and may not always provide a solution that satisfies all boundary conditions. In some cases, other techniques may be needed to find a particular solution for an unbounded domain.