Fundamental Solution for Nonhomogeneous Heat Equation?

In summary, the problem is to find an explicit formula for a solution to the PDE u_t - \Delta u + cu=f, with initial condition u(x,0)=g(x). The solution is found by letting u(x,t)=e^{-ct}v(x,t), with v(x,t) solving v_t - \Delta v = f(x,t) e^{ct} and v(x,0) = g(x). This simplifies the problem and provides a solution. Various attempts were made using different forms of the solution, but ultimately this method was successful.
µ³

Homework Statement

So I'm trying to solve Evans - PDE 2.5 # 12...

"Write down an explicit formula for a solution of

[tex]u_t - \Delta u + cu=f[/tex] with [tex] (x,t) \in R^n \times (0,\infty)[/tex]
[tex]u(x,0)=g(x)[/tex]"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure if I can a fundamental solution for

[tex]u_t - \Delta u + cu = 0[/tex],

The rest follows through straight forward. I've tried multiplying the solution to the heat equation by a number of terms such as [itex]e^{-ct}[/itex], [itex]e^{v(x,t)}[/itex], but everything I've tried so far either gives me a non-fundamental solution, or a non-linear pde.

I've also tried mimicking the two ways they give to finding the solution to the original equation but neither seem to work. Looking for solutions of the form [itex]u(x,t) = v(x^2/t)[/itex] and looking for solutions of the form [itex]u(x,t) = 1/t^\beta v(x/t^\alpha)[/itex] but neither seems to reduce the equation in the problem to a single variables

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
yay, figured it out.

letting [itex]u(x,t)=e^{-ct}v(x,t)[/itex], with [itex]v(x,t)[/itex] solving

[tex]v_t - \Delta v = f(x,t) e^{ct}[/tex]
[tex]v(x,0) = g(x)[/tex]

Solves the original equation. I guess I was just thinking too hard.

Related to Fundamental Solution for Nonhomogeneous Heat Equation?

1. What is a nonhomogeneous heat equation?

A nonhomogeneous heat equation is a mathematical equation that describes the flow of heat in a non-uniform medium. It takes into account both the source of heat and the material properties of the medium.

2. How is a nonhomogeneous heat equation different from a homogeneous heat equation?

In a homogeneous heat equation, the material properties of the medium are assumed to be constant throughout. However, in a nonhomogeneous heat equation, the material properties can vary at different points in the medium, making the equation more complex.

3. What are the real-life applications of a nonhomogeneous heat equation?

A nonhomogeneous heat equation has various real-life applications, such as predicting the temperature distribution in a building with different insulation materials, understanding heat transfer in biological systems, and analyzing the heat flow in electronic devices.

4. How is a nonhomogeneous heat equation solved?

A nonhomogeneous heat equation can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, the Laplace transform, and numerical techniques like finite difference or finite element methods. The method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the boundary conditions.

5. What are the boundary conditions for a nonhomogeneous heat equation?

The boundary conditions for a nonhomogeneous heat equation specify the temperature or heat flux at the boundaries of the medium. These conditions are necessary to uniquely determine the solution to the equation. They can be either Dirichlet (specifying the temperature) or Neumann (specifying the heat flux).