What is the maximum value of R in the given graph?

• Thread starter sakin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
Not 25!R(x)=x(50-2x) You can complete the square to write that as R(x)= -2(x- a)2+ b. If x= a then R= b while if x is any other number, R(x) is b minus something. Once you have the form R(x)= -2(x-a)2+ b, it is obvioius that the maximum value of R is b. And you found x by completing the square to be (x-12.5)^2. So what is b? b is the maximum value of R. What is it? And, by the way, what is "V
sakin

Homework Statement

Graph: R(x)=x(50-2x). Determine the maximum value of R.

Homework Equations

this particular question doesn't lend itself to a relevant example in the Rockswold text.

The Attempt at a Solution

at first, I tried graphing it on the TI as -2x^2+50x but it is a mother to try to display correctly. At that point I figured I was doing something out of proper sequence. Also, in this instance are they talking about maximum value as a component of a negative function, i.e. parabola opening downward? If so, what is the maximum value?

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you don't know calculus? This being the noncalculus forum. Taking the derivitive and setting it equal to zero is the classic way to solving this problem. However you can kinda do the same thing with just your wits.

Look at the problem. Divide it into two parts. One forcing it upward and one forcing it downward. Does one part increase faster than the other? Which one is it? At which point are the two equal? What happens when they are equal?

Answer these questions here and if you haven't got an answer by then, someone else will help you I am sure.

sakin said:

Homework Statement

Graph: R(x)=x(50-2x). Determine the maximum value of R.

Homework Equations

this particular question doesn't lend itself to a relevant example in the Rockswold text.

The Attempt at a Solution

at first, I tried graphing it on the TI as -2x^2+50x but it is a mother to try to display correctly. At that point I figured I was doing something out of proper sequence. Also, in this instance are they talking about maximum value as a component of a negative function, i.e. parabola opening downward? If so, what is the maximum value?

Thanks in advance...

Where does the function have zeros? What type of symmetry exists with a parabola? What can you say about where a parabola is maximum in relation to its zeros?

I had to post once more... my last post count was scary.

Complete the square. R(x)=x(50-2x)= -2x2+ 50x= -2(x2- 25x).

You can complete the square to write that as R(x)= -2(x- a)2+ b. If x= a then R= b while if x is any other number, R(x) is b minus something. Once you have the form R(x)= -2(x-a)2+ b, it is obvioius that the maximum value of R is b.

Or you could find it's axis of symmetry, [itex]x= \frac{-b}{2a}[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
Complete the square. R(x)=x(50-2x)= -2x2+ 50x= -2(x2- 25x).

You can complete the square to write that as R(x)= -2(x- a)2+ b. If x= a then R= b while if x is any other number, R(x) is b minus something. Once you have the form R(x)= -2(x-a)2+ b, it is obvioius that the maximum value of R is b.

OK, how about the NON-math/accounting/physics major's interpretation of the above?:redface:

I'm looking at this and really am not sure of where to complete the square. Would I be halving 50 and then squaring the result, or does another value represent b?

A fresh morning look at the problem assumes it to be something to the effect of x^2 - 25x + (-25/2)^2= 0+(-25/2)^2. This gives me

x^2-25x+156.25=156.25

which would leave us with something to the effect of

(x-12.5)^2=156.25

and then

x-12.5=+/- V'156.25

which I find to be

x-12.5=+/-12.5

and then -12.5+12.5=0

while 12.5+12.5=25

so x=0 and x=25

making max value of R=25?

could this be correct? and I would graph this... how?

Last edited:
R(x)=x(50-2x)

Maybe this will help (to get started, anyway):There are two places that the height of your curve, R(x), is going to be zero: when x = 0 and when x = 25. Those are the points where it crosses the x-axis. Draw your x and y axes and label the x-axis with a point at zero on the line and a point at 25. Now, draw an arc swooping up from the point (0,0) and then back down to the point (25,0).

p.s. There's a nice little tutorial on the topic here:
http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/col_algebra/col_alg_tut34_quadfun.htm

Last edited:
Close

Okay we can show from quadratic of the form y = ax^2+bx+c that we can derive the parbolic form y-k=a(x-h)^2 ( where (h,k) is the vertex of the parbola ) by completing the square on the quadratic form.

Doing that we get y-(-b^2 - 4ac/2a) = a(x-(-b/2a)^2, well it is easy to see just by comparsion what h,k are ( which we can say are x,y ) here x= -b/2a and y= -b-4ac/4a. So that was what Gibz was saying.

R(x)=(50-2x), Let R(x) = y factoring we get y= (-2x+50) = -2(x^2 -25x)

I think i should say that the value of a tells us whether the function is max or min if the vaue of a is greater that 0 the function has a min value if is is less that 0 then we have ourselves a max value, as you can see
-2 is less than 0so we have a mxaimum value.

you are very close, try completing by changing R(x) to y, completing the square and comparing the value you get to what i showed about the vertex of a parbola.

Orson.

Last edited:
sakin said:
OK, how about the NON-math/accounting/physics major's interpretation of the above?:redface:

I'm looking at this and really am not sure of where to complete the square. Would I be halving 50 and then squaring the result, or does another value represent b?

A fresh morning look at the problem assumes it to be something to the effect of x^2 - 25x + (-25/2)^2= 0+(-25/2)^2. This gives me

x^2-25x+156.25=156.25

which would leave us with something to the effect of

(x-12.5)^2=156.25

and then

x-12.5=+/- V'156.25

which I find to be

x-12.5=+/-12.5

and then -12.5+12.5=0

while 12.5+12.5=25

so x=0 and x=25

could this be correct? and I would graph this... how?

Actually, for a "NON-math/accounting/physics major" you've done very well. But when you said
x-12.5=+/- V'156.25

which I find to be

x-12.5=+/-12.5

and then -12.5+12.5=0

while 12.5+12.5=25

so x=0 and x=25

You are solving for x, not R! What you found were the values of x when R= 0, not the maximum value of R.

Yes, (x- a)2= x2- 2ax+ a2. If you want that to be the same as x2- 25x+ ..., then 2a must be 25 and so a must be 12.5. Of course then a2= 12.52= 156.25.
x2- 12x= x2- 12x+ 156.25- 156.25= (x-12.5)2- 156.25.

HOWEVER, your original problem was R(x)= x(50- 2x)= -2x2+ 50x. If you divide both sides by -2, you get (-1/2)R(x)= x2- 25x= (x-12.5)2- 156.25. Now multiply both sides by -2 to get back to f(x):
R(x)= -2(x-12.5)2+ 312.5

When x= 12.5, R(x) is 312.5. If x is any other number, R(x) is smaller than 312.5.

quick question Hallofivy, please forgive my ignorance, how do get to multi quote like you did? I mean i see the button but i still don't get it.

Thanks

the moment of truth...?

HallsofIvy said:
HOWEVER, your original problem was R(x)= x(50- 2x)= -2x2+ 50x. If you divide both sides by -2, you get (-1/2)R(x)= x2- 25x= (x-12.5)2- 156.25. Now multiply both sides by -2 to get back to f(x):
R(x)= -2(x-12.5)2+ 312.5

When x= 12.5, R(x) is 312.5. If x is any other number, R(x) is smaller than 312.5.

soooo... if I were to graph this beast, I would be looking at a negative quadratic function whose vertex would be some value of x, and y=312.5? Sounds like a major SWAG of a graph, to be sure...

Halls gave you the x-coordinate of the vertex. Re-read the post by him you just quoted.

threetheoreom said:
quick question Hallofivy, please forgive my ignorance, how do get to multi quote like you did? I mean i see the button but i still don't get it.

Thanks

Say you want to quote 3 posts: click on two of the posts multiquote you want to include, they will be highlighted in blue, then click on quote rather than multiquote in the last post you want to include and they will all be displayed in a single new post.

Last edited:
OK thanks to all... I graphed the beast with x=12.5 and Rmax=312.5. Prof is a sadist, that much I know.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Say you want to quote 3 posts: click on two of the posts multiquote you want to include, they will be highlighted in blue, then click on quote rather than multiquote in the last post you want to include and they will all be displayed in a single new post.

Cool Thanks

sakin said:
soooo... if I were to graph this beast, I would be looking at a negative quadratic function whose vertex would be some value of x, and y=312.5? Sounds like a major SWAG of a graph, to be sure...

y= 312.5- 2(x-12.5)2.

Not just "some" x but quite obviously x= 12.5.

1. What is a funky function?

A funky function is a mathematical function that has an unconventional or unique behavior. It may not follow the typical rules or patterns of other functions, making it more challenging to understand and work with.

2. How is a funky function different from a regular function?

A funky function differs from a regular function in its behavior and properties. While a regular function has a set of predictable outputs for given inputs, a funky function may have unexpected or irregular outputs. It may also have non-traditional features such as multiple peaks or discontinuities.

3. What are some common examples of funky functions?

Some common examples of funky functions include the step function, the absolute value function, and the Dirac delta function. These functions have unique properties and behaviors that set them apart from traditional functions.

4. How are funky functions used in science?

Funky functions are often used in science to model complex systems and phenomena. They can be used to describe real-world situations that cannot be easily represented by regular functions. Funky functions are also used in physics and engineering to solve problems and make predictions.

5. What are some challenges of working with funky functions?

Working with funky functions can be challenging due to their unconventional behavior. It can be difficult to find the right approach or method to solve problems involving funky functions. Additionally, funky functions may have infinite or undefined values, making it challenging to interpret their outputs.