Fusion/Fission - Exploring Pure Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "pure energy" and its relationship to the release of energy in fusion and fission reactions. While some sources may refer to "pure energy" as a form of intermediate energy, it is more accurately described as the combination of kinetic energy and electromagnetic radiation, or photons. The participants also mention the importance of understanding the different forms of energy and the potential for confusion or inaccuracy when using the term "pure energy."
KristianBF
Hi. I'm new around here, and from Norway so please excuse my english/any other mistake I make.

I have read several articles concerning fusion/fission, and they all say that the "lost mass" is turned into "pure energy". What is meant by pure energy? Is it the new nuclear particles increased kinetic energy they refer to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi KristianBF! Welcome to PF! :wink:
KristianBF said:
What is meant by pure energy?

I've no idea! :biggrin:

Maybe the so-called dark energy the cosmologists are looking for is "pure energy"? :rolleyes:

The "lost mass" in fusion and fission either goes to make massive particles, or goes to make electronmagnetic radiation, which is another name for (zero-rest-mass) photons.

Maybe the books mean photons? :confused:

(Or maybe the books mean that the "pure energy" exists for a short time as a sort-of intermediate stage?)

Ok, thanks for the answer! :)

I believe "pure energy" refers to non-rest-mass energy.

it is interesting and i also want to know its meaning. My dictionary says energy is "the capacity for a physical system to do work", "its units are joule or erg" and "energy can take a wide variety of forms" (from wordnet dict). hmmm.. seems to direct to a thought of what forms can energy takes?

luben said:
it is interesting and i also want to know its meaning. My dictionary says energy is "the capacity for a physical system to do work", "its units are joule or erg" and "energy can take a wide variety of forms" (from wordnet dict). hmmm.. seems to direct to a thought of what forms can energy takes?

You should check a physics dictionary if you want a proper definition (I believe yours isn't - I apologize if I'm wrong)

dalcde said:
You should check a physics dictionary if you want a proper definition (I believe yours isn't - I apologize if I'm wrong)

Wikipedia is also a great source, as long as you are not looking for controversial topics :rolleyes:

Sourabh N said:
Wikipedia is also a great source, as long as you are not looking for controversial topics :rolleyes:

And as long as you aren't writing a paper.

If you look at in on an atomic level when a U236 atom (that is a U235 atom with an added neutron) splits there will be two daughter products and several neutrons whose rest mass total less than that of the U235 and the neutron before the fission occurred, I don't think anyone has ever managed to weight a U236 atom. So obviously there is a loss of mass. That mass is changed into energy by the formula E = mc^2 where m is the mass lost and c is the speed of light. So the question is what form of energy does it turn into? And the answer is two forms. First the daughter products split off a very high rate of speed. So part of the answer is kinetic energy. The rest is released as a gamma ray. Or light energy.

I may be wrong, but I do not think there are any neutrinos emitted in a fission reaction. It is a bit inane for someone to claim that something is "pure energy" when there are two different forms that energy takes.

There is no such thing as "Pure Energy" unless you want to make up a definition for it. It is usually talked about because most people don't understand what energy is and it makes it seem "mystical" and more interesting. It's like calling work "Pure Work".

Related to Fusion/Fission - Exploring Pure Energy

1. What is fusion and fission?

Fusion and fission are two types of nuclear reactions that involve the splitting or combining of atoms to release energy.

2. What is the difference between fusion and fission?

The main difference between fusion and fission is that fusion involves the combining of two or more smaller atoms to form a larger atom, while fission involves the splitting of a larger atom into smaller atoms.

3. How does fusion/fission produce energy?

In both fusion and fission reactions, a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This energy is in the form of heat and light.

4. What are the potential uses of fusion/fission energy?

Fusion and fission have the potential to be used as a source of clean and virtually limitless energy. They could potentially replace fossil fuels and reduce our reliance on non-renewable energy sources.

5. What are the challenges in harnessing fusion/fission energy?

Currently, the main challenge in harnessing fusion/fission energy lies in being able to control and sustain the reactions in a controlled and safe manner. Scientists are also working on developing materials that can withstand the high temperatures and radiation involved in fusion/fission reactions.