Fusion Variable Game: Challenge Your Score at Princeton Plasma Physics Lab!

In summary, a fun flash game simulates a tokamak at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory. The highest score achieved so far is 102.80 by optimizing the power, plasma density, and magnetic field intensity. However, there is a potential to achieve a higher score of 148 or 168 with a program bug. The game's help section mentions that temperature and plasma density are dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, and the energy losses increase with these variables. It is important to consider the energy production and loss terms to find the maximum point on the function. The limit of the magnetic field is 14 Tesla, and there is no mention of how the plasma is heated or if there is neutral beam injection.
theCandyman
I was reading about the undergraduate research opportunity at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory and I ran across this fun flash game. It simulates a tokamak, and you can control the power used for heating, magnetic field intensity, and plasma density.

http://ippex.pppl.gov/tokamak/tokamak.htm

So far, mostly through entering numbers and optimizing each one and then readjusting the others, the highest score I have gotten is 102.80. I was going to go to Matlab and graph how each variable changes the score and the temperature, but I have found that adjusting one of the others just a little affects the plasma so that while I might make a change that would look like it helps, it may have the opposite effect.

Here is the set up for my highest score:
Auxiliary power: 7.58 [MW]
Plasma Density: 2.41 [10^20 / m^3]
Magnetic field: 14 [T]

I know that a higher one can be achieved, because the page claims that the highest score achieved was 148; 168 if you use a bug in the program.

In the help section it mentions that temperature and plasma density is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field, and I assumed that if the magnetic field increases, so do the limits for temperature and plasma density. I could gather a bunch of data from a bunch of points, but I would like to think there is an easier way to guess a good value. Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The magnetic field applies pressure to the plasma, and the plasma pressure is based on nkT as one might guess. In addition, the energy losses due to bremstrahlung, cyclotron radiation, particle diffusion also increase with n, T, and cyclotron rad increases also with B.

One would have to know the energy loss terms in addition to the energy production term. There is a maximum point on the function described by the sum of these terms.

Is there a limit on magnitude of B?

Also, does it have neutral beam injection?

The limit of the magnetic field is 14 Tesla, there is not anything said about how the plasma is heated, only the option to adjust the power to heating.

1. What is the purpose of "Fusion Variable Game: Challenge Your Score at Princeton Plasma Physics Lab!"?

The purpose of the game is to educate players about fusion energy and the work being done at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab. It also challenges players to improve their score by learning more about the science behind fusion energy.

2. How does the game incorporate real science?

The game is based on real research and data from the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab. The challenges and variables in the game are based on actual experiments and concepts in fusion energy research.

3. Is this game suitable for all ages?

Yes, the game is suitable for all ages. It is designed to be educational and engaging for both children and adults.

4. Are there any prizes for achieving a high score?

While there are no physical prizes, players can earn virtual achievements and badges for completing challenges and improving their score. These achievements can be shared on social media.

5. Can players learn anything from playing this game?

Absolutely! The game is designed to teach players about fusion energy, plasma physics, and the research being done at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab. Players can also learn about the challenges and potential of using fusion as a source of clean energy.