Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Future of life in the universe

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    I have a question regarding the future of civilization in the universe. As we all know, the universe is expanding and, as per the 2nd law of thermodynamics, entropy is increasing. However, could a future civilization find a way to harness used energy (ie heat dissipated from resistors)?

Also, I read somewhere that the maximum possible entropy in the universe rises as the universe expands, and that this creates a growing 'entropy gap' between the current entropy at any time in the universe and the maximum possible entropy at the same time. Could a civilization make use of this to survive?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2
    Shouldn't we worry about our sun and it's life cycle or even if humans will make it to see the drawn out death (our sun would expand taking the planets, or at least most of them with it) I mean, if we get past surviving without our sun and our planet, then who knows how far we could make it.
  4. Nov 2, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That aim might be a little optimistic, Professor Martin Rees, the British Astronomer Royal, asks Our Final Century: Will the Human Race Survive the Twenty-first Century?.

If we do then "who knows how far we could make it"?
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  5. Nov 2, 2007 #4
    if we can survive something as devastating as the death of our sun, then we would be able to do just about anything, including; having a replicator like the one star trek , warp speed and Data- So, right It's unlikely we will even be around long enough to have a need to
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?