What Angle Does the String Make with the Vertical While Accelerating?

• Thread starter ldbaseball16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary: If not, you're good to go.In summary, the string makes an angle with the vertical of 28 degrees when the dice are accelerated from a stoplight to 28 m/s in 6.0 seconds.
ldbaseball16

Homework Statement

A pair of fuzzy dice is hanging by a string from your rearview mirror. while you are accelerating from a stoplight to 28 m/s in 6.0 s, what angle does the string make with the verticle?

Homework Equations

im having trouble finding the mass and the force on the dice i know you are suppose to use F=Mg but like i said i have to find the force of the die and to do that i have to find the mass

The Attempt at a Solution

knowns unknown i used this equation to get the mass but I am unsure about it
V= 28 m/s angle y=yo+Vyot-1/2gt^2
T=6.0 mass
g=9.8m/s force

Physics news on Phys.org
ldbaseball16 said:

Homework Statement

A pair of fuzzy dice is hanging by a string from your rearview mirror. while you are accelerating from a stoplight to 28 m/s in 6.0 s, what angle does the string make with the verticle?

Homework Equations

im having trouble finding the mass and the force on the dice i know you are suppose to use F=Mg but like i said i have to find the force of the die and to do that i have to find the mass

The Attempt at a Solution

knowns unknown i used this equation to get the mass but I am unsure about it
V= 28 m/s angle y=yo+Vyot-1/2gt^2
T=6.0 mass
g=9.8m/s force

Don't you also know that V = a*T ?

And if you know the horizontal acceleration won't that affect the hanging dice according to vector addition with gravitational acceleration? Hence won't you be able to calculate the angle? All without any consideration of what the mass may be.

i don't understand how there is a horizontal acceleration because its hanging so i thought it was a vertical and since its vertical i thought the acceleration would be 9.8 m/s I am just really unsure I am confused now

ldbaseball16 said:
i don't understand how there is a horizontal acceleration because its hanging so i thought it was a vertical and since its vertical i thought the acceleration would be 9.8 m/s I am just really unsure I am confused now

Both accelerations are affecting the dice.

One horizontal. One vertical. Added together they yield a resultant force.

But since they are acting from different directions they must be added as you would add two vectors. One is 9.8 and the other what you calculate for the car's acceleration.

When you add them in this manner you get an angle as well as a magnitude. The question is only asking you for the angle.

but don't you have to find the mass of the die so you can calcutlate the force exerted on the die?

ldbaseball16 said:
but don't you have to find the mass of the die so you can calcutlate the force exerted on the die?

If you want to deal with it as Forces, then that's fine too. But F = ma and whether you figure the force vectors or the acceleration vectors the mass is a constant that merely relates the acceleration to force as a scalar. But it's the relationship between the two vectors that determines the angle.

If you prefer then do the equations and carry the mass as unknown. When you calculate your angle see if you need to know the mass.

1. What is the "fuzzy dice problem"?

The "fuzzy dice problem" is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the likelihood of two dice landing on the same number when rolled multiple times.

2. How do you approach the fuzzy dice problem?

The fuzzy dice problem can be approached using principles of probability and combinatorics. It involves analyzing the possible outcomes and determining the probability of each outcome occurring.

3. Can you provide an example of solving the fuzzy dice problem?

Sure, let's say we have two six-sided dice and we want to know the probability of rolling a 3 on both dice when rolled 3 times. The probability of rolling a 3 on one die is 1/6, so the probability of rolling a 3 on both dice is (1/6) * (1/6) = 1/36. Since we are rolling 3 times, we multiply this probability by itself 3 times, resulting in a probability of (1/36)^3 = 1/46,656.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the fuzzy dice problem?

Yes, the fuzzy dice problem is a simplified version of more complex problems in statistics and probability. It can be applied to scenarios such as predicting the likelihood of two people having the same birthday in a group or the chances of winning a lottery with multiple numbers.

5. What are some strategies for approaching and solving the fuzzy dice problem?

Some strategies for solving the fuzzy dice problem include drawing a probability tree, creating a table of possible outcomes, and using the formula nCr (n choose r) to calculate the number of possible combinations. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and then combine the results using basic probability rules.