G-factor of electron, proton, and neutron don't cancel out

In summary, the G-factor of an electron, proton, and neutron do not cancel out. The G-factor is a measure of the magnetic moment of a particle, which determines its response to a magnetic field. While the electron, proton, and neutron all have different G-factors, they do not cancel out due to the subtle differences in their internal structure and behavior. This has significant implications in fields such as quantum mechanics and nuclear physics, where the G-factor plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles.
LostConjugate
If you add up the g-factor for the electron, the proton and the neutron it is not exactly zero. Doesn't this calculate to a magnetic moment for every atom in the universe proportional to it's mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
LostConjugate, The full explanation of this is rather lengthy and technical, but in brief:

Number one, when you couple two or more particles together, you don't just add the g's. This in fact is where the idea of the Lande g factor originated.

Number two, if an atom or molecule has a nonzero magnetic moment, there isn't any great significance attached to that.

And number three, many atoms have total angular momentum zero. For a system with J = 0, it's impossible to have a nonzero magnetic moment.

Thats right. Addition of quantum angular momentum involves some heavy algebra. Thanks

LostConjugate said:
Thats right. Addition of quantum angular momentum involves some heavy algebra. Thanks

Not to mention that the g-factors for nuclear particles are about 2000 times smaller than the g-factors for electrons. When you combine them (as in hyperfine splitting), you need to take this difference into account as well.

SpectraCat said:
Not to mention that the g-factors for nuclear particles are about 2000 times smaller than the g-factors for electrons.

No, they are not.

Bill_K said:
And number three, many atoms have total angular momentum zero. For a system with J = 0, it's impossible to have a nonzero magnetic moment.

No, I don't think that's right. J is usually reserved for the total electronic angular momentum (i.e. J=L + S, where L is orbital angular momentum, and S is spin angular momentum). So, as long as all the electrons are paired, J will always be zero, and their electronic magnetic moment will also be zero. However, there are certainly isotopes of atoms with all their electrons paired which have non-zero nuclear magnetic moments .. He-3 is the simplest, but there are lots ... most (all?) of the rare gases have NMR-active isotopes, as do the alkali-earth elements (Mg, Ca, Sr, etc.) and the group 12 metals (Zn, Cd, Mg).

Dickfore said:
No, they are not.

Well, you are right in principle, since they are just dimensionless numbers. However, in the context of this thread, we are talking about hyperfine coupling of nuclear and electronic angular momenta. So, it is really that the nuclear magneton is 2000 times smaller than the Bohr magneton for electrons that is driving the effect.

However, if you want to calculate the overall g-factor for an atom using the usual equations, it will be almost exactly equal to the electronic g-factor, because you need to scale the nuclear contribution by ~1/2000. (See below)

F=J+I

[tex]g_F = g_J\frac{F(F+1) - I(I+1) + J(J+1)}{2F(F+1)} + g_I\frac{F(F+1) + I(I+1) - J(J+1)}{2F(F+1)}[/tex]

For that equation, you need to scale the gI term by ~1/2000, so that is why it is sometimes said that gI for the nuclear spin is 2000 times smaller than gJ.

SpectraCat said:
F=J+I

[tex]g_F = g_J\frac{F(F+1) - I(I+1) + J(J+1)}{2F(F+1)} + g_I\frac{F(F+1) + I(I+1) - J(J+1)}{2F(F+1)}[/tex]

These equations are incorrect when applied to coupling of magnetic moments of two systems that have different ratios for [itex]q/m[/itex], as is the case with the nucleus and the electron cloud.

Furthermore, when the total angular momentum of the electrons [itex]J = 0[/itex], the magnetic moment of the whole atom is solely determined by the magnetic moment of the nucleus.

Dickfore said:
These equations are incorrect when applied to coupling of magnetic moments of two systems that have different ratios for [itex]q/m[/itex], as is the case with the nucleus and the electron cloud.

Furthermore, when the total angular momentum of the electrons [itex]J = 0[/itex], the magnetic moment of the whole atom is solely determined by the magnetic moment of the nucleus.

Yup .. that's what I said. :biggrin:

I don't think that equation is valid, period. Can you give a reference for it?

No, I don't think that's right. J is usually reserved for the total electronic angular momentum (i.e. J=L + S, where L is orbital angular momentum, and S is spin angular momentum).

Fine, so whatever you want to call the total angular momentum of the atom, that's what I meant was zero.

Dickfore said:
I don't think that equation is valid, period. Can you give a reference for it?

I don't have a reference handy .. I got that from memory. I am pretty sure I can derive it .. I will do that if I have time. (For what it's worth, it also seems to be backed up by Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landé_g-factor but the equation there is not referenced either).

Why don't you think it is valid (with the caveat that gI needs to be scaled by the electron/proton mass ratio)? The hyperfine interaction is an angular momentum coupling, so the algebra should be the same. In the usual usage of the Lande g-factor for spin-orbit splitting, the g-factors for the two terms aren't the same .. the g-factor for the orbital angular momentum is 1, while the g-factor for the spin angular momentum is (about 2). The Lande g-factor obtained is then appropriately scaled to calculate spin-orbit splitting of multi-electron atoms with different L and S using the Bohr magneton. The version of the Lande g-factor I provided does exactly the same thing, except takes the (small) effect of the nuclear moment into effect as well, again scaling it so that it can be used with the Bohr magneton. This would allow one to predict small differences in the Zeeman splitting of lines from the same atoms, but different isotopes. Isn't that what is observed experimentally?

However, upon further consideration, I have to say that I guess is that this version of the g-factor is not really that useful in practice, because if you have sufficient resolution to see the difference in the splittings due to this g-factor, you are probably resolving the hyperfine splitting any way, and thus will probably be using the full hyperfine Hamiltonian to analyze the spectra.

1. What is the G-factor of an electron, proton, and neutron?

The G-factor, or the gyromagnetic ratio, is a dimensionless quantity that describes the magnetic moment of a particle in relation to its angular momentum. For an electron, it is approximately equal to 2, for a proton it is approximately equal to 5.6, and for a neutron it is approximately equal to -3.8.

2. Why don't the G-factors of electron, proton, and neutron cancel out?

The G-factors do not cancel out because they are inherently different for each particle due to their different masses and spins. The electron, proton, and neutron have different magnetic moments, which is reflected in their respective G-factors.

3. How do the G-factors affect the behavior of these particles in a magnetic field?

The G-factors determine how strongly a particle will interact with a magnetic field. A higher G-factor means a stronger interaction, and a lower G-factor means a weaker interaction. This influences the behavior of these particles in experiments involving magnetic fields, such as in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy.

4. Do the G-factors of electron, proton, and neutron have any implications in physics?

Yes, the G-factors of these particles have significant implications in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and particle physics. They are used to calculate the magnetic moments of atoms, molecules, and nuclei, and are also important in understanding the structure and behavior of matter at the subatomic level.

5. Can the G-factors of electron, proton, and neutron be modified or changed?

The G-factors of these particles are fundamental properties and cannot be modified or changed. They are intrinsic to the particles and are constant values that have been experimentally determined. However, the magnetic moments of these particles can be altered in certain situations, such as in the presence of external magnetic fields.