G(x) is twice differentiable where g(4)=12 and g(5)=18. g(6)=?

In summary, the problem is asking for a possible value of g(6) given that g is a twice differentiable function with positive first and second derivatives and g(4)=12 and g(5)=18. The options are a. 15, b. 18, c. 21, d. 24, and e. 27. Using the given information, it can be determined that the function is increasing and concave up for all real numbers x. Therefore, g(6) must be greater than 24. The only possible option is e. 27.
lude1

Homework Statement

Let g be a twice differentiable function with g'(x)>0 and g''(x)>0 for all real numbers x, such that g(4)=12 and g(5)=18. Of the following, which is a possible value for g(6)?

a. 15
b. 18
c. 21
d. 24
e. 27

Answer: e. 27

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the first question is the first line of the question. "Let g be a twice-differentiable function with g'(x)>0 and g''(x)>0" means the first and second derivative of g(x) is positive, right?

They gave me g(4)=12 and g(5)=18. Therefore, I can find the function by plugging it into y-y1 = m(x-x1, find m, and then find b.

12-18 = m(4-5)
-6 = m(-1)
m=6

12 = 6(4) + b
b = -12

y= 6x-12​

Since they want g(6), I plugged in 6 for x.

y= 6(6)-12
y= 24​

Though that is answer d, it is incorrect.

I guess my problem might come from the first sentence. They told me g'(x) and g''(x) is positive, but I don't know how that helps me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost there! Your solution y=24 is the straight line solution with slope=6. In other words, g'(x)=6. Since this is a straight line, the second derivative is zero. However, the problem tells you that g'(x) and g''(x) are positive. This means g(6) must be greater than 24. The only possible choice is (e) 27.

g' and g'' give you some idea about the shape of the graph. If g'(x) > 0, the graph is increasing. If g''(x) > 0, that gives you information about the concavity of the graph, whether the graph is concave up or concave down.

g''(x)>0 means there must be a place where it is concave up, right?

y= 6x-12 is a straight line.
y'=6 is also a straight line
y'' does not exist? which means there is no concavity which means g''(x) is not greater than 0.

Therefore when I plug in 6, I get 24. But because of the conditions above, 24 CANNOT be the answer. And since y'' must be positive, the answers cannot be anything below 24, leaving me with the only answer choice left, (e) 27?

If y = 6x - 12, then y' = 6, and y'' = 0, so yes, it does exist, and there is no concavity.

Your function must be monotone increasing and concave for all x. So an exponential function comes into mind. As you have two constraints, try g(x) = a exp( bx). Solving this for your two x values will lead to a very simple result with indeed g(6) = 27.

Erich

esc1729 said:
Your function must be monotone increasing and concave for all x. So an exponential function comes into mind.
Or not. This problem can be solved without having to solve for a specific function.
esc1729 said:
As you have two constraints, try g(x) = a exp( bx). Solving this for your two x values will lead to a very simple result with indeed g(6) = 27.

Erich

Yeah, I've just realized. It's quite some time since I'm out of school and we had no multiple choice tests then ...

No, I didn't either, but a problem like this is good for emphasizing concepts at a high level without getting bogged down in computations.

Related to G(x) is twice differentiable where g(4)=12 and g(5)=18. g(6)=?

1. What does it mean for a function to be twice differentiable?

Twice differentiability means that the function has a well-defined first and second derivative at every point in its domain.

2. How do we know that g(4) equals 12 if g(x) is twice differentiable?

Since g(x) is twice differentiable, it must have a well-defined first derivative at x=4. This derivative is equal to the slope of the tangent line at x=4, which is the same as the value of g(4). Therefore, g(4)=12.

3. How can we find the value of g(6) if we only know the values of g(4) and g(5)?

Since g(x) is twice differentiable, we can use the values of g(4) and g(5) to find the slope of the tangent line at x=4 and x=5. From there, we can use the Mean Value Theorem to find the value of g(6) by setting up an equation with the slope of the tangent line and the difference between g(6) and g(5). This will give us the value of g(6).

4. Can we use the values of g(4) and g(5) to find the value of g(6) if g(x) is not twice differentiable?

No, if g(x) is not twice differentiable, we cannot guarantee that the function has a well-defined second derivative at x=6. This means that we cannot use the Mean Value Theorem to find the value of g(6) with only the values of g(4) and g(5).

5. Is it possible for g(6) to be any value if g(x) is twice differentiable and g(4)=12 and g(5)=18?

No, since g(x) is twice differentiable, the value of g(6) is determined by the values of g(4) and g(5) and the properties of the function. It cannot be any arbitrary value.