Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Γ5 and chiral symmetry

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    recently i am reading chiral symmetry in QFT. Almost all textbooks define γ5 as a chiral
    operator without saying some reasons. i am very confused why γ5 has something to do with
    chiral symmetry, can somebody explain it more intuitively and physically? who first introduce γ5 as a chiral operator? and i also want to
    know what is a chiral transformation? is it a transformation for example which can transform a left-handed to a right-handed?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

The states projected out by the projectors [tex] (1 \pm \gamma_5)/2 [/tex] can be seen to be interconverted into each other by the parity operator [tex] i \gamma_0 [/tex] as it anticommutes with gamma_5. On the other hand time reversal as given by [tex] i\gamma_1\gamma_3 [/tex] and taking the complex leaves these states invariant. Compare this to the properties of a chiral molecule under parity and time-reversal: under parity (space inversion), a D molecule will be transformed into an L molecule and vice versa, while time inversion leaves the chirality of the molecule the same.
    The chirality transformation corresponds to a multiplication of these two components by phase factors [tex] \exp (\pm i \phi) [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook