Galaxies recede faster than light

• Thread starter Seeruk
  • Start date
No one is saying that scientific theories are set in stone
The theory regarding expanding space is in most every case passed off as absolute undeniable fact, stated like as if we know exactly what space is. If there is direct observational evidence as to what space is, and exactly how it is that space expands............I'd sure like to hear and see it.

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pi_314B said:
I would consider this to be a false statement. The evidence is anlogous to going to a folder called expanding space, then to a sub folder, then to a file, then to a page in the file, wherein lies the evidence, while the theory of the Earth going round the Sun has it's evidence located in the folder call Earth round the Sun.
That's not a particularly good analogy, since our level of confidence in a theory depends more on the relative quality of the observations than on the total number of them. If one is going only by the number of different kinds of observations, then the expanding universe likely beats out the sun-centered solar system, despite the latter clearly being more certain. I'm curious, though, what do you think the evidence for the expanding universe is? If it's a "file" worth of information, surely that wouldn't be a tall order.

relative observations?

I would like to see it too Pi_314B. Like a black hole time discrepancy, is it not relative to the observer. For those who believe in the expansion theory, which I do, you would not feel space expanding because your experiencing it from a single point within space. The closer an object is to your observable field the less of an expansion occurs. Thank all of you who have posted so far. Although I have not read all of the posts due to illness, I have been pondering this question for quite some time.

DrChinese

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pi_314B said:
The theory regarding expanding space is in most every case passed off as absolute undeniable fact, stated like as if we know exactly what space is. If there is direct observational evidence as to what space is, and exactly how it is that space expands............I'd sure like to hear and see it.
Of course, it depends on what you call direct. In the past 20 years, many galaxies have been discovered with recession speeds (relative to us) exceeding c. If you accept general relativity, then the explanation of this would be an expanding universe will accelerating expansion. The CBMR is also considered direct evidence of the expansion of the universe, although it is not proof it is accelerating.

Nothing we know is absolute. So whatever standard you are holding your breath for, don't expect everyone else to go along with you. Newton was not "wrong" just because he didn't have the facts we have today. When new knowledge is gained, we will adjust for it. No one is trying to put one over on anyone.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving